Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
We also know that Buffalo Trace didn't have any of its OWN rye that old and that it came from another source (and I've been informed it wasn't part of the CoK rye stash....), most likely Medley (and possibly Bernheim????).

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
So is it possible they are the "same" whiskey? I understand that they don't taste the same... and I'm not sure 5 proof points is enough to make up that difference. Perhaps BT let some of the barrels age to 19 years of age, and then didn't like the result so sold them???
Not sure where you heard the first info, but I'd learned some time ago that the Saz18 was Bernheim aka CoK rye aka the first Rye that Willett bottled at the pushing of Dougdog. And Van Winkle was Medley rye, which then (IIRC at the "E" bottling) added some Bernheim distilled rye to lengthen the life of it. It's been so long since I learned this that I don't recall now where, possibly here in old posts somewhere, but as with anything it could be wrong. Either way, I am with others here in my firm belief that they are not the same. I have always believed the 'vatting' made the VW quite different from the Saz; furthermore that it was, to my tastes superior, and also quite different after the vatting than either Medley or Bernheim rye alone.