Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Sazerac 18/Van Winkle Rye

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    This thread prompted me to give Saz 18 a try and I'm speechless. Easily the best rye I've ever had. I'd like to see it at a slighter higher proof, but it's damn near perfection as is. Given that VWFRR seems to be preferred over the Saz 18 here, I'm now on a quest to hunt it down.
    Welcome to the rye side, now the frustrating part is trying to get your hands on a bottle (at a decent price anyway). If you have a chance to try the VWFRR, please post here as I find it very interesting to hear which people prefer and why.

On a different note, is it confirmed that 2005 Saz was not tanked and 2006 beyond was?
    Last edited by LostBottle; 01-25-2012 at 20:23.

Novice

I love Winkle rye and Saz 18 equally, both are simply delicious and required bottles in my household. If I had to break it down, though, for me: The nose on the Saz 18 is exquisite; the finish of Winkle rye is stunning.

I hate talkin' trash about Saz 18, because it's just so dang drinkable. But, I agree, it would be a total dream of a dram at a wee higher proof. (My only knock on the Winkle rye is it's such a pain to procure.)

Virtuoso

My sentiments exactly. I really like the saz 18. It is definitely special and very hard to come by. Vwfr is my favorite beverage ever (so far) just get one at any price and then wait till your connections pan out for more.

Virtuoso

It's been quite a while since I've opened a Saz18. I may have to do a head to head against the VWFRR (which is probably my favorite whiskey...bourbon or rye) I may throw some Michter's single barrel in there also to keep things interesting.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    It's been quite a while since I've opened a Saz18. I may have to do a head to head against the VWFRR (which is probably my favorite whiskey...bourbon or rye) I may throw some Michter's single barrel in there also to keep things interesting.
    Now that would be one helluva tasting Tom. Let me know when and where.

Enthusiast

We've done a few different runs with various letters of VWFRR (A, B & G) along with last 3 year's Saz 18s up against Vintage Rye 21 (we included some younger ryes, which were good, but not nearly as exquisite as these).

Bottom line: All three are amazing. There ARE differences between various letters on the VWFRR bottles, but they aren't better/worse - just some differences.

Which wins? It would depends who you asked - but one of those three is at the top of almost everybody's "best" list. There are more scare bottlings of even older, barrel strength ryes that I've yet to taste... but working on it!

FWIW: I also love THH - there are times I actually prefer it to these older more matured ryes.

Virtuoso

I've noticed some differences in the VWFRR (A v. B) and always preferred the "A" bottling until lately where the A seemed a bit flat and "B" had more stuff going on. This will definitely require more research.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

I've noticed some differences in the VWFRR (A v. B) and always preferred the "A" bottling until lately where the A seemed a bit flat and "B" had more stuff going on. This will definitely require more research.
    Definitely....and, if you need any help at all....I'm just sayin...if you need hep, hear i am!