Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Sazerac 18/Van Winkle Rye

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    We also know that Buffalo Trace didn't have any of its OWN rye that old and that it came from another source (and I've been informed it wasn't part of the CoK rye stash....), most likely Medley (and possibly Bernheim????).

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    So is it possible they are the "same" whiskey? I understand that they don't taste the same... and I'm not sure 5 proof points is enough to make up that difference. Perhaps BT let some of the barrels age to 19 years of age, and then didn't like the result so sold them???
    Not sure where you heard the first info, but I'd learned some time ago that the Saz18 was Bernheim aka CoK rye aka the first Rye that Willett bottled at the pushing of Dougdog. And Van Winkle was Medley rye, which then (IIRC at the "E" bottling) added some Bernheim distilled rye to lengthen the life of it. It's been so long since I learned this that I don't recall now where, possibly here in old posts somewhere, but as with anything it could be wrong. Either way, I am with others here in my firm belief that they are not the same. I have always believed the 'vatting' made the VW quite different from the Saz; furthermore that it was, to my tastes superior, and also quite different after the vatting than either Medley or Bernheim rye alone.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    ...the VW quite different from the Saz; furthermore that it was, to my tastes superior...
    I swear I am the only person on earth, or at least these forums, that likes the Sazerac 18 more than the Van Winkle.

This evening, I revisited both in one sitting and it reconfirms that I could easily tell these two apart in a blind tasting. To me the difference is that the Sazerac seems 'more rye' than the Van Winkle. This is to say, I get more wood and pepper from the Saz where the VWFRR brings more sweetness, a more 'bourbony' profile, and more complexity. The Saz also seems a bit hotter to me despite the lower proof. My taste buds leave me guessing the Saz mashbill is a higher percentage of rye than the Van Winkle. The finish on the Van Winkle does last longer, but that finishing rye note on the Saz is nothing short of amazing and is perhaps my favorite finish ever. I prefer the Saz by a decent margin despite others describing it as too linear.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 01-16-2012 at 21:53.

Connoisseur

I just saw Jason Pyle's Sazerac 18 review on Sour Mash Manifesto (great, great blog by the way - do yourself a favor and check it out).

I am surprised it received 'only' a 9.4. The Rittenhouse was rated a 9.3 and the High West Rendevous Rye a 9.4. I am also surprised the Weller and Stagg ranked so much higher, Saz is usually the top scorer of the BTAC in others reviews.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 01-19-2012 at 21:13.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I swear I am the only person on earth, or at least these forums, that likes the Sazerac 18 more than the Van Winkle.
    I'd hate to have to choose between them, to be honest - I love both equally, but for different reasons (essentially what you described in your tasting notes above). They fill different "needs" in my tastes.

However, as blasphemous as it may be, I'd say I actually prefer Vintage 21 to either Saz or VWFRR... it's just more... scrumptious. It's sweet, spicey, lots of wood, but plenty of rye. It's gradually surpassed the VWFRR as my fave.

That said - I think all three are stunners and worth collecting and keeping. I'd hate to be without any of them in my bunker.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    However, as blasphemous as it may be, I'd say I actually prefer Vintage 21 to either Saz or VWFRR... it's just more... scrumptious. It's sweet, spicey, lots of wood, but plenty of rye. It's gradually surpassed the VWFRR as my fave.
    I would put Vintage 21 up there as well.. if I had to pick one.. it very well might be the Vintage 21 as well. Explodes with taste
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I'd hate to have to choose between them, to be honest - I love both equally, but for different reasons (essentially what you described in your tasting notes above). They fill different "needs" in my tastes.

That said - I think all three are stunners and worth collecting and keeping. I'd hate to be without any of them in my bunker.
    I agree Tim. After trying several times just to make sure I really think the V21 is right up there. I also enjoy the High West 21- different stuff, but man is it good.

Cheers,

RW
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

I've found that rarely does anything in life live up to immense hype. This thread prompted me to give Saz 18 a try and I'm speechless. Easily the best rye I've ever had. I'd like to see it at a slighter higher proof, but it's damn near perfection as is. Given that VWFRR seems to be preferred over the Saz 18 here, I'm now on a quest to hunt it down.

On a side note, the bar I got the Saz 18 at had it for $10 per ounce. Pricey, but worth the splurge IMO. What I found odd, however, was the Whistlepig listed at $13 per ounce. Am I missing something there? Even at the same price I'd take Saz every single time.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I've found that rarely does anything in life live up to immense hype. This thread prompted me to give Saz 18 a try and I'm speechless. Easily the best rye I've ever had. I'd like to see it at a slighter higher proof, but it's damn near perfection as is. Given that VWFRR seems to be preferred over the Saz 18 here, I'm now on a quest to hunt it down.

On a side note, the bar I got the Saz 18 at had it for $10 per ounce. Pricey, but worth the splurge IMO. What I found odd, however, was the Whistlepig listed at $13 per ounce. Am I missing something there? Even at the same price I'd take Saz every single time.
    If Saz 18 left you speechless, wait until you get your hands on a VWFRR.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    If Saz 18 left you speechless, wait until you get your hands on a VWFRR.
    Posts like these make me want to make poor, expensive eBay based decisions.
    tl; dnr

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by yountvillewjs View Post
    Posts like these make me want to make poor, expensive eBay based decisions.
    Resist...there will be more coming down the road...several years left before it gets shifted to BT juice...never give up the search.