Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

That New Guy Back At It Testing Again...

Greetings~!
    It’s ME….The New Guy that did the Nutty Taste Test about a year ago.
    I’ve been in & out of here quite a bit since then but have chose to hold off posting…until now.
    Anyway, it’s getting to be that time again….time for my annual trip and I wanted to check in with the knights of the round table once again & gather some info before setting out on my journey. This is my yearly trip with my closest friends that started out over 10 years ago camping in the middle of nowhere sitting around a fire so big you could see it from orbit drinking anything friends brought around said fire until almost dawn laughing & attempting to figure out the meaning of life.
    Fast forward a decade + and we’ve made our way to Lake Powel on a Houseboat for the trip as well as a KILLER house on the sand in southern California.
    Now….this year we’re stepping it up….I have found and rented us a 6000 sq. ft. house a little ways off the Las Vegas Strip~!
    It’s the same group for a full week and it should be a great time.
    AND I have an idea….instead of the regimented, organized, detailed almost militant type test conducted last year, I wanted to try something different.
    I wanted to do a more casual week long type evaluation. Given these folks have now been introduced to the wide world of bourbon
    I wanted to see what progress if any they have made. I would like to bring 5 or 6 bourbons max and casually see which one goes first or is most favorably commented on or is just flat out not liked for that matter.
    Just in day to day life. No detailed score sheets, just me taking a few notes and asking a few questions as the week goes on.
    This is where is gets dicey and why I need your help.
    First…what to bring? Well here’s what I will be bringing for sure:

Maker’s Mark 23 – WINNER of last year’s taste test (it’s earned it)
    Pappy 20 - My personal favorite (my game my rules)

J.D. Single Barrel – A must have quality item for mixing

Other than these 3, I was hoping you might offer some suggestions…
    OTHER THAN ANY OF THE BOTTLES BROUGHT FOR LAST YEARS TEST. (listed below)
    See there, just when you thought it would be easy I go and toss a Monkey in the wrench.
    I’m nowhere near an expert. Hell I barely feel qualified to post in this place. Hence the reason I am asking you.
    The Qualified Good People of Straight Bourbon .com
    What 3 bottles MAX would you bring to the festivities in addition to the ones already in above?
    As usual price is not a huge concern, but quality IS. The purpose is to kind of flesh out in a week long casual environment with a couple basic questions to mostly entry level bourbon folks which is most to their liking. Not while sitting at a table struggling to sort thru “is that Caramel or Coconut I smell” like last year, but while they are hanging out watching a movie with a glass, or out by the pool at noon or in the Jacuzzi and 2 am. Which one in the course of normal life will get the most favorable review? I am working diligently on the questions in my spare time and want to keep them basic and to a minimum.
    Maybe only 2 or 3 questions. Of course I am open to suggestions for those as well.
    I am well aware this is quite a bit off the beaten path and to many might seem like the same thing done last year.
    It is not. Having had a front row seat for last year’s test and making sure it was accurate and all details were followed was a real job. The testing was so regimented it became a serious challenge to complete. And while everyone went along and seemed to enjoy it, it was in fact a bit tedious.
    This will be the exact opposite of that. A week in a kick ass house to sample as much or as little as they want 24 hours a day all for the cost of telling me what they think as they do it. I am also really interested to see if peoples opinion of a certain bourbon might change by the end of the week?
    Who knows…timing is everything in life.
    So feel free to call me whacko and make fun of me all ya want…my skin is thick.
    And thanks in advance for any help.
    Respectfully,
    Ron

Last Year’s Bottles tested:
    Black Maple Hill
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Pappy 20
    Knob Creek
    Noah's Mill
    Basil Hayden
    Pappy 15
    Jack Single Barrel
    Pappy 23
    Woodford Reserve Maple Wood Finish
    Makers Mark 46
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Re: That New Guy Back At It Testing Again...

Your friend are going to be influenced by packaging what is in a pretty bottle or fancy label . What might be fun to do is buy your bottles and pour them into unlabeled bottles with just numbers on them and at the end of the week see which bottles got drank up.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Now that would be interesting! Total blind tasting by the whole group.

Taster

Point taken, just likely won't happen that way.
    For the record this group honestly doesn't care what the booze or the bottle look like. It really will be about what they like. Case in point the Pappy 23 last year was almost no ones favorite even after knowing what it was or seeing the label. Nor does known price play in to things that much as we've had Fighting Cock be fairly well received in the past.
    No way to know if subliminally the "look" of a bottle influences one who drinks it enough to overcome taste preference but my knowledge of this group tells me nobody will give a darn about what "it's suppose to be" & likely they will only care about what it is.

Respectfully,
    Ron

Connoisseur

I don't see any Weller's on your list, Weller 12 or OWA would be on my short list.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I don't see any Weller's on your list, Weller 12 or OWA would be on my short list.
    Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taster

I like the Weller idea. I'm just not very informed about it.
    Perhaps some specifics on the best of the brand would help.
    I am currently learning about Hirsch as well.
    Appreciate the info.

Respectfully,
    Ron

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bushape1 View Post
    I like the Weller idea. I'm just not very informed about it.
    Perhaps some specifics on the best of the brand would help.
    I am currently learning about Hirsch as well.
    Appreciate the info.

Respectfully,
    Ron
    Grab some Weller 12 if it"s available. If not, OWA.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

I concur. OWA or Weller 12 should be on a list looking for average, everyday consumption. EC 12 and Evan Williams Vintage should be on your short list as well.

Taster

So to clarify the Weller 12 is the best Weller in your opinion?
    Appreciate the info.

Respectfully,
    Ron