Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Introduction from Kansas

Recently (maybe five months ago) began drinking bourbon and am on my third handle of Evan Williams.

Currently, I also have open bottles of Baker's, WT 101, Buffalo Trace, Weller's 107, Woodford Reserve, and Fighting Cock.

The Weller's tasted strongly of cinnamon, so I left it alone after imbibing a few ounces. Several weeks later, I tried another pour. I've had a couple of ounces of it a week since then. Weller's 107 may be my favorite bourbon.

I like Evan Williams (maybe because I've had the most of it) and Fighting Cock quite a bit. My area lacks selection. After work today, I finished shopping the last liquor store in my area to check inventory. This store has EW Single Barrel (checked the bottom of the bottle and didn't see an obvious year marking) and also had Elijah Craig 18. So... I am mulling over those options. Other than Baker's, I haven't tried any Jim Beam yet (don't know why).

Sometime this summer, I will ride to Wichita and try to find some Old Forester.

Guru

Re: Introduction from Kansas

Wwelcome to SB.

Weller 107 along with all wheated bourbons are known to improve after being opened a few weeks.

It is a very good bourbon and a great value.

Are you into home brewing?

Will

Taster

I do like beer, although I do not drink it as often as I used to. When it comes to brewing, my talent is lacking. It seems I do not save much money or gain any real satisfaction by brewing over buying a superior product at similar cost.

Ciders and meads on the other hand... well, it just seems I can do better at home versus something I can readily find on the shelf. Plus, my wife has developed a taste for apfelwein.

Connoisseur

Greetings, Beerfactory!!! Enjoy the journey!
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Greetings, Beerfactory!!! Enjoy the journey!
    thanks

I've now obtained/tried EWSB and JBB. They both tasted very good and were enjoyed. I'm not sure what's next on the radar (maybe Jim Beam White), I'll probably just work on the bottles that I have for a while.

Taster

shot in the dark: if anyone knows where to find a list of bourons available in KS, I would appreciate it (haven't been able to "google it up". the owner of a liquor store locally told me he would order anything I wanted. he couldn't tell me specifically what he could order.

I'm assuming he is limited by bourbons available in KS and further restricted by what his supplier has access to. MO is within range too, if anyone would happen to know of a link to their available bourbons.

Disciple

Welcome aboard. Looks like you're sampling a pretty diverse selection for being fairly new.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by beerfactory View Post
    thanks

I've now obtained/tried EWSB and JBB. They both tasted very good and were enjoyed. I'm not sure what's next on the radar (maybe Jim Beam White), I'll probably just work on the bottles that I have for a while.
    Welcome Beerfactory. I hope you avoid Jim Beam White...while I'm one that certainly drank my fill of it in college when it was an easy drink to get drunk on, there are so many better options at similar prices. JBB (in the same family, obviously, and that you've already tried) is much better than JBW, in my opinion. I might suggest something like the standard Buffalo Trace, Old Forester Signature, or Elmer T. Lee for your next purchase. All should be under $30, and I find them to be good pours (not wheaters though). Of course, taste is subjective, but figuring out what you like and dislike is part of the fun of the bourbon journey!

If you don't mind spending some more money and are looking for wheaters, I'd look for Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof (or 90 proof, if that's all you see), the Pappy Van Winkle line (12, 15, or 20 year), or the Parker Heritage Collection 2010 edition (the PHC 2010 is a 10 year wheated mashbill bourbon, and it will set you back around $80, but it is an excellent bourbon).

There's something to be said for starting at the bottom and building your palate, but the Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 20 year and the PHC 2010 won't be around forever, so they might be worth picking up now and then trying them once you have built that base...just a thought.
    Last edited by jcg9779; 05-20-2011 at 17:13.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

Welcome to the site, you will find everyone here very helpful. All you need to do is ask.
    Enjoy

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    Welcome Beerfactory. I hope you avoid Jim Beam White...I might suggest something like the standard Buffalo Trace, Old Forester Signature, or Elmer T. Lee for your next purchase.

...won't be around forever, so they might be worth picking up now and then trying them once you have built that base...just a thought.
    tried JB white at a bar last night. I enjoyed it, but I do not think I will stock a bottle. Buffalo Trace is good, I only have a couple pours left of this and will replace before I run out.

Old Forester Signature and ETL, I will keep an eye out for these. We may be going to a Royal's game tomorrow which will mean I can stop at a larger MO liquor store.

I'm not ready to justify spending $80 on a bottle at this point. It would probably set me back with the wife and hurt my long term prospects of stocking bottles.