Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

New/Current Pappy 15 vs PHC wheater

Just wondering which you would prefer for the high end wheaters- the newer release of pappy 15 or PHC from 2010.

Virtuoso

Re: New/Current Pappy 15 vs PHC wheater

This past weekend we tried both the new Pappy 15 and the PHC from 2010 and the consensus was that the PHC from 2010 won all the way.

Unfortunately I only have a bottle and a half now and cannot find any more.

Best regards, tony

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    This past weekend we tried both the new Pappy 15 and the PHC from 2010 and the consensus was that the PHC from 2010 won all the way.

Unfortunately I only have a bottle and a half now and cannot find any more.

Best regards, tony

curious... was the PHC opened already for some time?
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    curious... was the PHC opened already for some time?
    No, we just opened that evening. Nice stuff, need to hunt down more.

Best regards, tony

Disciple

PHC 10yr Wheater without question! So decadent. Yet all current Old Fitzgeralds disappoint.

Advanced Taster

Bought a PHC wh last month and am really not into the finish. It stays with you way too long in my opinion. It actually made me a little uncomfortable at times like I had heartburn or something. Other people I shared this bottle with noticed it too. Gone back a few times and it's just not my whiskey. The nose is the best part. I would take a PVW 15 from 09 any day over this whiskey. However, I didn't buy a 15yo release this fall after all the criticism, so I got a few family reserve ryes and a few 20yos.

I decided to write and ask, why not put WLW in this conversation too? For me, it's a much better wheater than PHC but closer than PVW15 in proof and it's the exact same price. That's a whiskey I look at everyday and I get all giddy because I want to sit with it and enjoy anytime I walk by.

Back to PVW, the 15yo of yesterday has this bright elegance when it's in my mouth that the recent PHC doesn't have. And Pappy has this incredible finish that vibrates where PHC vibrates but chokes you 30 seconds afterwards, not because of the alcohol percentage, I don't think but something else and that something has to do with the oak. However, I'm not sure why it gives me and others this sensation but would be curious if someone had an experience similar and could explain it. The best thing about PHC is that it has this kinda "this is bourbon" nose...and honestly, it's kinda generic to me, like this would be the poster child for what bourbon smells like, Stagg could also be on this poster too and I'm not going to buy another bottle of that either but wouldn't turn down a pour if offered. I think both PHC and Stagg are not complex enough for my palette. Neither noses make me go 'wow, what's this' but rather, 'oh, this is bourbon and good powerful bourbon'.

PVW is always surprising through and through and WLW just demands me to pay full attention to it to the point where there is nothing happening in the room but this drink and me and I don't want to stop enjoying it and I notice nothing else but it's amazing character that compares to nothing else.
    Last edited by jeanraulmitchell; 12-14-2011 at 10:01.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jeanraulmitchell View Post
    Bought a PHC wh last month and am really not into the finish. It stays with you way too long in my opinion. It actually made me a little uncomfortable at times like I had heartburn or something. Other people I shared this bottle with noticed it too. Gone back a few times and it's just not my whiskey. The nose is the best part.

I decided to write and ask, why not put WLW in this conversation too? For me, it's a much better wheater than PHC but closer than PVW15 in proof and it's the exact same price. That's a whiskey I look at everyday and I get all giddy because I want to sit with it and enjoy anytime I walk by.

Back to PVW, the 15yo of yesterday has this bright elegance when it's in my mouth that the recent PHC doesn't have. And Pappy has this incredible finish that vibrates where PHC vibrates but chokes you 30 seconds afterwards, not because of the alcohol percentage, I don't think but something else and I think it has something to do with the oak. However, I'm not sure why it gives me and others this sensation but would be curious if someone had an experience similar and could explain it. The best thing about PHC is that it has this kinda "this is bourbon" nose...and honestly, it's kinda generic to me, like this would be the poster child for what bourbon smells like, Stagg could also be on this poster too and I'm not going to buy another bottle of that either but wouldn't turn down a pour if offered. I think both PHC and Stagg are not complex enough for my palette. Neither noses make me go 'wow, what's this' but rather, 'oh, this is bourbon and good powerful bourbon'.
    I felt the same way about the PHC wheater for almost the first half of the bottle I had. I could barely get beyond the heat of the entry and was left drenched by heat on the finish. I finally decided to quit being stubborn and add some water to it, and I found a completely different bourbon emerge at around 110 proof. All uncomfortable heat vanished and I was left with a velvety soft wooden cherry meat that I had never really experienced in a wheater before. It was quite exquisite.

I loved the hell out of the second half of that bottle and look forward to an opportunity to open another one. I'll agree that it isn't overly complex, but it does that wooden cherry thing so, so well.

The only other wheater I've had that can compare to the PHC is the wheated 17yr Willet. The Willet is unfiltered, stronger (around 134.8 proof) and of course 7 years older. When brought down to around 116 proof, it has even more wooden cherry depth with more body and satisfying chew.

The new Pappy 15 and WLW are very different wheaters than the PHC and Willet. They have the body of the Willet, but I am finding they lack that bright wooden cherry kick that I look for now that I know it. The Pappy15/WLW have a very dry finish that I'm not sold on. I'm picking up a lot of bitter barrel char that I isn't quite in balance for me.

I prefer the new Pappy 15 to the WLW 2011, and I like what each of them has to bring to the table, but if you're going to compare them to PHC, at this point in the evolution of my palate, I'm going with the PHC.

Plus, we have many years of BT Pappy to look forward to. The PHC won't be seen again (as far as I know, anyway).
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Great responses.

Throw the WLW into the mashup as well.

And wouldn't the Willett wheater most likely be from the same mashbill/distillery as the PHC?
    Last edited by trumpstylz; 12-14-2011 at 10:36.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Great responses.

Throw the WLW into the mashup as well.

And wouldn't the Willett wheater most likely be from the same mashbill/distillery as the PHC?
    Not the Willett bottles that I have...PHC 2010 is a HH distilled product.

I would agree with Aaron as the PHC definitely shines around 107 proof and that happens to be the same proof as Pappy 15!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

Was shut out on PVW15 this year here in MI, but did luck out and picked up 3 bottles of PHC. Had it previously when it first came out and look forward to giving it another try.