Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Which American whiskies have maintained their flavor profile...

This is probably a question best answered by the long-time connoisseurs on this board, but I ask the question to anyone on here really----

Which American whiskies produced today have maintained their flavor profiles the best over the decades. With the closure and consolidations of many distilleries during the 70's and 80's and brands being sold or produced elsewhere, I would imagine quite a few labels have had a significant shift in what they taste like. The few old bottles I've had, I've found to be very different than their modern counterpart- Old Overholt being one that has had a dramatic change. This question isn't about those that have changed, it's about the ones that have stayed the same. I've heard Old Grand Dad has stayed pretty consistent, along with Van Winkle products. Are there others???
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Re: Which American whiskies have maintained their flavor profile...

I was in on a Dickel vertical of 5 decades from the early days of Tullahoma (1964?) through the '00s. Amazing profile retention and high quality throughout.

I can't agree about Grand Dad, though. Early Beam bottlings were sometimes thin and hot and recent ones, while often excellent, show some Beam grassiness.

Roger

Connoisseur

Re: Which American whiskies have maintained their flavor profile...

Old Forester Signature has really stayed the same through the ages.

I have had the BIB (100 proof), and 100 proof with both Old Forester distilling Co and Brown Foreman distilling co on the label. It's amazingly consistent, so much so that I'd rather pick up a new one than spend time hunting down the old stuff. Now, if I stumble across one.....