Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Home made rock and rye

Never made mine. It's on the 'to do' list, but may not get done until winter 2013-2014.....

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    It is done! Went with a bottle of Ritt, an orange, a lemon, 5oz sugar, about 10 each whole cloves and allspice, a cinnamon stick, and 4 Luxardo cherries with extra juice from the bottle. I'll let you know how it tastes in a few weeks.

ethangsmith, did you end up making yours back when you started the thread? How did it turn out?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

I cracked into my rock and rye last night. All the sugar was dissolved so i figured it was ready. Wow, this stuff is good. I'm not really a cocktail person, but I could see myself drinking these all night. It's funny that I've never seen this in a bar because it would make the mixologist look very good in a "there's no way i could make this at home" way (which you can, but it tastes different enough from a normal mixed drink that you'd think you couldn't). All the flavors are well integrated. I can taste the citrus and spices, lots of cinnamon (might need to cut down on it for balance), and sweet and syrupy goodness. I'm hoping to get sick by Monday so I can skip work and put this old time remedy to an all day test.

Advanced Taster

way to go, compliance. Do you think the raw sugar added much in the way of flavor? are you keeping the mix in the fridge?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    way to go, compliance. Do you think the raw sugar added much in the way of flavor? are you keeping the mix in the fridge?
    You mean compared to refined sugar? Can't say really since I've never made another batch with anything else. I generally like raw sugars better because they have a little extra flavor, kind of a step towards brown sugar. I can't pick it out in the drink but using the raw certainly didn't hurt, it tastes fantastic :P. Maple syrup might be another interesting sugar to mix in the recipe.

Virtuoso

Ok, I am going to have to make a batch of this. I would imagine this might be a good summer drink, not sure why I think that though.

Best regards, Tony

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Ok, I am going to have to make a batch of this. I would imagine this might be a good summer drink, not sure why I think that though.

Best regards, Tony
    I can tell you it tastes great on the rocks. That's been my preparation of choice recently.

Connoisseur

Homemade Rock n Rye... genius! I think I have a spring project.

Guru

Me too, Rye on the rocks.