Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Had a lot of fun hanging out with fellow bourbonian LikeItWasSodaPop last night. Yesterday afternoon I poured four whiskeys into sampler bottles for some blind tasting. He did remarkably well!

A. HW 16yr rye
    B. Baker's 7/107 from '85
    C. WTR101
    D. ER17 2011

Blind notes:
    A. Rye, old but not too, thin 90-94 proof, 12-16 yrs old.
    B. Smells like dusty spirit. Butterscotch, smooth. 95-100 proof, 10 yrs.
    C. Young, soap, rye. Love-hate. 90 proof, 4 yrs or less.
    D. Older ryed bourbon. Heaven Hill, 90 proof, 15+ yrs.

He was basically dead-on with all of it. It was interesting that he picked out Heaven Hill with the ER17. I hadn't really thought about it before, but the ER17 is quite reminiscent of some of the better bottles of EC18. Also interesting was that he could smell the dustiness of the Baker's. There's only a slight hint in the finish of the Baker's that seems to be signaling that sour acetone turn Beam products have taken since.

These are the other bottles that made their way into our glasses:
    Binny's OESQ
    Binny's OBSV
    Pappy 20
    Binny's EWSB '99
    PHC cognac

This latest bottle of Pappy20 is a bit of a letdown for me. No off-notes, and it certainly retains the S-W imprint, but it's just too watered down. I think my last bottle from '09 had more flavor.

The OBSV is just plain outstanding. 106pr and more complex than the standard bottling. It's just a remarkable whiskey, and we both prefer the OB's to the OE's in general.

I personally just can't get enough of the PHC cognac; it's effortlessly addictive. The EWSB '99 tastes like wheatgrass. It's settling well the longer its open, but it is thoroughly grass-stained with the HH profile.
    Nice job. I'm right with you on the PHC Cognac. So, so drinkable.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Just cracked open a WTKS bottled '06. It lacks the slight up front sweetness I get from RB, very dry, and there's quite a bit of wood. At $10 cheaper, RB is much better..IMHO
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Nice job. I'm right with you on the PHC Cognac. So, so drinkable.
    Me three, it's dangerously drinkable. I find myself constantly having to remind myself how expensive it is and that it's 100 proof. I hope Angel's Envy and the 2011 PHC are signs of more finished bourbons to come. Both were very sucessful, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Just cracked open a WTKS bottled '06. It lacks the slight up front sweetness I get from RB, very dry, and there's quite a bit of wood. At $10 cheaper, RB is much better..IMHO
    Agreed. I don't know what the point of WTKS is currently. It hasn't been really good for years.

I am currently enjoying some Kopper Kettle on the rocks with a few dashes of bitters. This stuff is not as bad as I remember it being. It's downright pleasant.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Doing a little of this, and a little of that, with the Pats/Ravens in the background. Poured a VG Fox, and threw in a twist of orange and a couple drops of Bitter Truth Lemon Bitters. Nice little cocktail.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I'm enjoying a healthy pour of Lot B. Man, I wish I could still walk into a store and buy this for $40.

Enthusiast

I have to make sure I don't drink PHC Wheat to quickly,
    this stuff is one if not my favorite

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Not just, enjoying...Really enjoying. And, it's not even a bourbon, but it belongs here. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. It's been a while since my last bottle, but I'm now wondering why I've waited. The nose is simply Heavenly. Sweetish, with a wonderfully doughy overtone to it. That carries over at it glides over my palate. One of the most drinkable whiskies I've ever had. The doughiness and sweetness hangs on in the end. Really good all the way through, but the nose...the nose...is simply spectacular. This will become a more frequent stop on my regular rotation, for sure.
    I'm usually with you Joe but something about that doughiness (it's definitely there) that just shuts me down on this one. I'll be glad to gift you a half a bottle in April. At least I just got my $10 rebate money on this from HH too.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Having a pour of WTAS tonight...there are nights when I think this is a good pour but not one that I'm sure is worthy of being a WT specialty bottling then there are nights like tonight where I totally get what Jimmy Russel was tasting when he selected this bottle. I love it when you pick the right pour for your pallet!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Advanced Taster

Old Charter 8 and Old Charter 12

Connoisseur

I just returned from a work training trip. 12 of us spent 3 days in Chicago area.I took a flask of ORVW 10/107 along, but it didn't last long. The guys wantedto get a bottle of whiskey and I wasn't going to object. After much deliberation, we agreed on Maker's 46. I've got to say, I enjoyed it far more than I had expected. I've tasted it before, but never really drank it, if you know what I mean. More spice, more depth, frankly,more balls. I know this idea has been brought up here many times, but here goes again: how good could Maker's be? How about an 8-10 year old 100 proof Maker's?