Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

A beautiful pour from a newly purchased bottle of Buffalo Trace. What a great whiskey. I love it's hint of earthiness. You know the movie "Hoosiers"? Remember the scene where Hackman is at Hershey's house, and they're out back? And, he's running the sorghum stalks through the press, while they talk? A barn in the Midwest, cool weather, sweetness from the sorghum, smoke from a fire in the air, dark fertile soil...Buffalo Trace is that kind of bourbon. Makes me want to go put on my favorite flannel shirt...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

4R single barrel picked by Ron & David from Uncle Jack's Spirits - Georgia

excellent selection
    Last edited by B.B. Babington; 12-27-2011 at 18:22.

Connoisseur
    Angels Envy, been open for 9 months. First time I have enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disciple

I had Tom and Thad over last night and we worked our way through some of my open bottles and some stuff that Tom brought over.

VWFRR "A" bottling
    Pappy 15 2011
    ORVW 10/107 2010
    Willett 8yr 1789b Selection #3
    Bowman 18yr PS #1
    FR OBSK Binny's
    FR OBSK P/C #1
    PHC 2010 127.8 @107
    Handy 2008
    Fighting Cock 8/103
    DougDog/Neil 22yr Rye
    Willett 5yr Rye Toddy's
    Willett 2yr Rye
    Bob's Living Bottle

Overall I'm still amazed how much I like the new Willett 8yr bottle that just arrived. The Pappy 15 is still good but I would put it more in line with the ORVW 10/107 now vs being a product carrying the Pappy Van Winkle name. I certainly wouldn't pay $65 a bottle for it when ORVW 10/107 can be had for half that price.

I've been trying to drink more ryes as I've always leaned towards bourbon and more specifically wheater pours. I'm beginning to really appreciate a good rye whiskey and I think Tom and Thad would agree that the 2008 Handy is a very nice represenation of a youngish BP Rye...I wish that it had about 2-3 more years on it as I think it would really be entering it's prime at that age(see Bowman Rye).

All in all a fun night of hanging with some other bourbon/whiskey dorks and watching some Moonshiners to make sure we kept the theme going!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Sampled side by side OFBB 2009 and 2011

Really liked the 2009. The 2011 tastes more like scotch to me than bourbon. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Connoisseur

Had a pour of Woodford from my Christmas bottle. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it just doesn't do it for me like it used to. Years ago,when I liked bourbon, but before I loved it, I really enjoyed Woodford. I'm not sure if it is the changing of my tastes, the changing of the product, or a little of both, but I struggle with current Woodford. I think that most of it has to do with thin mouthfeel. There is ok flavorand spice,but the lack of body throws those flavors off, not sure that I'm wording this correctly. I think more body would "carry" the spice better. In the beer world it would be an IPA that is too thin to carry the hop bitterness, becomes one dimensional.

Virtuoso

Disciple

Finally got my hands on Old Ezra 7yr. VERY nice at this price, and I'm not much of a HH fan. Not a hater, just usually a bit spotty for me.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Finally got my hands on Old Ezra 7yr. VERY nice at this price, and I'm not much of a HH fan. Not a hater, just usually a bit spotty for me.
    One of my go-tos especially in the winter. Love that stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is how it doesn't come in handles.

I'm celebrating the survival of another Christmas with the family with some Lawrenceburg Old Rip 90 followed by some Cognac-barrel finish PHC and dark chocolate.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Got my first bottle two days ago...all I can say is....WOW.

HH has really dropped the ball marketing Old Ezra. The 101 should be a nationwide direct competitor of WT101 and OGD BIB, it is that good.