Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 296977787980 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Started out with some Bushmill's in honor of the holiday, then moved on to some EC18. Enjoyed the Bushmill's, but the follow up reminded me that I am, indeed, a bourbon man.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Started out with some Bushmill's in honor of the holiday, then moved on to some EC18. Enjoyed the Bushmill's, but the follow up reminded me that I am, indeed, a bourbon man.
    Tried Bushmills, 3 different Jameson's, and a Redbreast cause of St. Pats. Eeesh. While not horrible per se, I'll stick with bourbon thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I wore my crusty, old IU hat while working in the yard today. Rewarded with a Sweet 16 appearance for the first time in 10 years. So I'm goin' Hoosier on this pour with a W.H. Harrison. Yeah, it ain't great whiskey, but this ain't 1976, either. . Big 10 looking pretty good, so far.
    Didn't know you were an IU fan Joe. Having some of the BOTM in celebration myself. Cheers!
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Had a very unexpected but fun event yesterday. Went in to my local store to grab a couple of things, and was asked by my store guy if I was interested in tasting some barrel samples for a EC 12 they were going to be getting in.

Of course I'm not going to pass that experience up!

They were given three barrel proof samples to choose from, what was most surprising to me was the strength of each, the low was 144 and the high was 154. Not often you can taste something that is above Stagg levels.

Yes, caution was observed with these, that proof level will take you breath, and taste buds away in short order.

Well, after many small sips, lots of water, and some hefty dilutions to bring to bottle strength, the consensus of the room was pretty even amongst with to pick.

I'm looking forward to when this one come in to get a couple. Not everyday that I can pull something out and say that I helped pick it out.

Now, I just need to work my way in when they talk buying trips down to pick barrels.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Had a very unexpected but fun event yesterday. Went in to my local store to grab a couple of things, and was asked by my store guy if I was interested in tasting some barrel samples for a EC 12 they were going to be getting in.

Of course I'm not going to pass that experience up!

They were given three barrel proof samples to choose from, what was most surprising to me was the strength of each, the low was 144 and the high was 154. Not often you can taste something that is above Stagg levels.

Yes, caution was observed with these, that proof level will take you breath, and taste buds away in short order.

Well, after many small sips, lots of water, and some hefty dilutions to bring to bottle strength, the consensus of the room was pretty even amongst with to pick.

I'm looking forward to when this one come in to get a couple. Not everyday that I can pull something out and say that I helped pick it out.

Now, I just need to work my way in when they talk buying trips down to pick barrels.

B
    How awesome is that to walk in when they're barrel sampling? Congrats and let us know how the bottles turn out!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    How awesome is that to walk in when they're barrel sampling? Congrats and let us know how the bottles turn out!
    It was pretty special. I am looking forward to tasting the final product.

It's another great example of getting to know the people at your store. Without the relationship I have with them, this certainly would not have happened otherwise.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I'm crowing a bit today (or would be if I weren't too hung over to speak) because I got my German hefeweizen-drinking, Scotch loving friend to try some old SW stuff, and he liked it more than the scotches I had. He even appeared to like it more than his favorite beer. I believe I might have a shot at converting him!

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I'm crowing a bit today (or would be if I weren't too hung over to speak) because I got my German hefeweizen-drinking, Scotch loving friend to try some old SW stuff, and he liked it more than the scotches I had. He even appeared to like it more than his favorite beer. I believe I might have a shot at converting him!
    What a good friend you are getting someone hooked on out-of-production bourbon!

Trippah and Admin

Sipping on some 2007 WLW after a very odd day.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Sipping on some 2007 WLW after a very odd day.
    So..... How odd was your day?