Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    695

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    Not a huge fan of the 2001, either. The 2000 disappeared faster than any other whiskey in my cabinet. But, lots of fans for the entire label, so maybe I'm an outlier. I just don't see paying $25 or more for it, when it's more of an ~$20 bottle, tastewise.

  2. #12
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    664

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Not a huge fan of the 2001, either. The 2000 disappeared faster than any other whiskey in my cabinet. But, lots of fans for the entire label, so maybe I'm an outlier. I just don't see paying $25 or more for it, when it's more of an ~$20 bottle, tastewise.
    Unless it gets really great reviews, I'm much more inclined to get EWSB's slightly older and more reliable older brother, EC12. It's the exact same price in my main store.

    Makes me wish Very Rare Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 10yr was still around!
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

  3. #13
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    695

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Makes me wish Very Rare Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 10yr was still around!
    My local bar has like one pour left of that very same whiskey - they should give you a 10% bonus for this, because I've been on the fence about it until now They're (a lot) overpriced for some stuff, but I can't pass this one up. I love that old HH profile so darn much...

  4. #14
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Unless it gets really great reviews, I'm much more inclined to get EWSB's slightly older and more reliable older brother, EC12. It's the exact same price in my main store.

    Makes me wish Very Rare Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 10yr was still around!
    Henry McKenna single barrel runs around the same price or a little higher. 10 years and 100 proof. I wish EWSB was bottled at 100 proof, honestly.

  5. #15
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    156

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    I bought a Mckenna Single Barrell a few weeks back and opened it with a few freinds. They all liked it so much they jotted down the barrel number and went to the place I got mine and each bought their own.
    I dont know much about the product line and where if falls in relation to EW or other HH products, but we really enjoyed it more than any EW vintage that we had tried.

  6. #16
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Henry McKenna single barrel runs around the same price or a little higher. 10 years and 100 proof. I wish EWSB was bottled at 100 proof, honestly.
    Agreed. I think HH juice really shines at 100 proof. EWSB is interesting, but screams for higher proof.
    -Brian-

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

  7. #17
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Winter Wonderland
    Posts
    480

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    After my negative experience with the 1998 and 1999, only bought 1 bottle of the 2000. Huge improvement. Missed out on finding any other 2000's. Did not try 2001 although plenty of the shelves. Mixed reviews? Will try the 2002.

  8. #18
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    4,982

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    I always get at least one EWSB of the newest vintage, cause I'm a sucker like that.

    My opinion regarding the last five vintages:
    1997>1998=1999>2000>2001

    That said, there are some retailer bottlings of the 2001 that are pretty good.

    The McKenna is kind of hit or miss for me. It's an excellent value, but the last bottle I got was kind of dull. Elijah Craig is always a winner, but the fun of the EWSB is how it changes from year to year and from barrel to barrel.

    I want to give my opinion on the quality of reviews on drinkhacker, but my mother told that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  9. #19
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    4,982

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    After my negative experience with the 1998 and 1999, only bought 1 bottle of the 2000. Huge improvement. Missed out on finding any other 2000's. Did not try 2001 although plenty of the shelves. Mixed reviews? Will try the 2002.
    You didn't care for the 98 or 99? That's interesting. I have a 97 and a private bottle of the 00 in the old bunker. Come over and see me sometime!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  10. #20
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Emeryville, CA
    Posts
    260

    Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

    I haven't seen the 2002 yet. I've only had the 1998 and 2000, both of which I liked. I actually saw 3 bottles of 1989 today, but they wanted $40. He said $35 if I bought 2.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2002, 17:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top