Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002

Quote Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
    I haven't seen the 2002 yet. I've only had the 1998 and 2000, both of which I liked. I actually saw 3 bottles of 1989 today, but they wanted $40. He said $35 if I bought 2.
    89 is pretty good, I would put it on par with the 2000, at least the bottle I had.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've had the 2002 and, with the 2001, I think we're getting an idea how EWSB is going to taste going forward. It's similar to the 2001 but maybe a step or two more fully developed. Bittersweet dark chocolate is the dominant flavor. It's so round, you can almost mistake it for a wheater.

Enthusiast

wallywine.com shows the 2000 pictured as available for sale. probably just a stock photo but might be worth checking out for the 2000 fans.

Enthusiast

I know where some binnys hand picked 2000 is located.

Also- a buddy saw hand picked 2000- at friar tucks down in champagne, il but that was probably 4 months ago or so.

Apprentice

In my never-ending quest to expand my horizons, had my first pour of an Evan Williams product this week Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002. I found it to have a very caramel nose, a citrus taste with an easy finish. Pleasant but nondescript IMO. Was curious so searched the forum and found this older thread about the 2002. However, not many had tried the 2002 back then. How about now any updated opinions? In addition, since this was my first go at Evan Williams which should I try next: 1783 Small Batch? Green? Black? White? (Note: Would rather have my vodka flavored not my bourbon so think I will pass on the honey, cinnamon, & eggnog). Evan Williams suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[/font]

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smgrey24 View Post
    Evan Williams suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Avoid the green label. If you want experience with the basic EW profile, get the black label. I tend to prefer the white label BIB or 1783, but they're significantly different from the black label.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Looks like you have a slightly different than run of the mill one there. Hand picked!

Having run through most of the EW/EC profile, the EWSB and the EC12 are my favorites. I have yet to try 1783 though, and I have a bottle of the white in my bunker. I have to take a trip to Louisiana to get that.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

You're in the store and they have 2 different barrels of EWSB 2002 available. Do you choose 2 of the darker colored juice, 2 lighter or 1 of each? [On sale @ $21.99] {I chose 2 darker, aged 10 yr, 3mo}
    Last edited by MauiSon; 09-09-2012 at 19:03.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    You're in the store and they have 2 different barrels of EWSB 2002 available. Do you choose 2 of the darker colored juice, 2 lighter or 1 of each? [On sale @ $21.99] {I chose 2 darker, aged 10 yr, 3mo}
    Personally, I would buy the dark one, then as I'm walking out the door, make an awkward comment to the cashier about accidentally picking up the wrong bottle. Then I would swap for the light one. Then I'd come back the next day and buy the dark one. After a couple more days, I would start to feel nervous about "missing out" and go back and buy the rest of the bottles.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Personally, I would buy the dark one, then as I'm walking out the door, make an awkward comment to the cashier about accidentally picking up the wrong bottle. Then I would swap for the light one. Then I'd come back the next day and buy the dark one. After a couple more days, I would start to feel nervous about "missing out" and go back and buy the rest of the bottles.

Welcome! This is a sure sign of your contraction of Whiskirexia Nervosa...Of which, there is no cure. There is a colony for those of us who have it, here on SB. So, you are among friends.

You can read more on the affliction, here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ight=nervosaSB.

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama