Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booker's

Enthusiast

Booker's

I have been frequenting a local watering hole that has an infatuation with Beam products ... to the point of having 3 full Beam train decanter series mounted on the walls.

Now using the 20% bottle price algorithm common in WV, the shot price should be ~$9 ... they dispense a double of Booker's for $6 ... a steal ...

I've grown to really appreciate the attributes of Booker's ... I like the higher proof [127 and 129 currently], the way initially irritates my uvula [not vulva! ] ... and how the flavor profile changes over time, and with a small addition of water.

I'm interested in other SB's thoughts on Booker's.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur
    I had a 127 proof that was so so. I then had 130ish proof at a beam tasting and it was really good. Most bars around here carry Bram products and if they do I trend to the Bookers when out.

Advanced Taster

Re: Booker's

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I had a 127 proof that was so so. I then had 130ish proof at a beam tasting and it was really good. Most bars around here carry Bram products and if they do I trend to the Bookers when out.

I personally find Booker's to be a very good bourbon when consumed with a very small amount of water to tame down that fire (I do enjoy having a few sips without the water just to experience that extra warmth).

Enthusiast

I find it difficult to fully appreciate Beam's character without trying it uncut, unfiltered, and unba$tardized. That is precisely what Booker's offers.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

I've yet to buy a bottle of Booker's, but have enjoyed the pours of it I've had. I'm not a big Beam fan outside of KC and OGD, but Booker's is some fine bourbon.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    I've grown to really appreciate the attributes of Booker's ... I like the higher proof [127 and 129 currently], the way initially irritates my uvula [not vulva! ] ... and how the flavor profile changes over time, and with a small addition of water.
    Hey man, you just made me pass hot coffee through my nose!I'm a fan of Booker's too and $6 for a double is a steal (and you won't need many to hit that fuzzy zone, that's for sure).
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Not to rain on this lovefest, but the OP asked...

I've had this on many occasions, both at bars, and I've been given a few bottles as gifts. My experience is always the same. It's blazingly hot uncut, in an awkward way that I don't experience with products like Stagg, Larue, or even OGD 114. And when I start to cut it down to a reasonable level, it becomes thin and one dimensional.

Big thumbs down IMHO.

Enthusiast

Its a hot one, but if you're ready to deal with that and drink it neat, you will be rewarded. You just have to be ready for the heat. A lot of the disappointments with Booker's I believe are the high expectations. People want to compare it to stagg or WLW but those are much older bourbons. Booker's is not too old, but not too young and yes very hot, but its something that you can overcome and enjoy. I've never been able to add water without ruining the taste.

Guru

I enjoy Bookers, and while I don't have a bottle at the moment, I bought a 50 ml to do a comparison against my Col EH Taylor Barrel Proof - and found that I actually enjoyed the Bookers about the same (and I can get it for $20+ less than the CEHT BP!) I usually take my first sip or two straight, but then add a splash of water and let that work its magic. I'm also not a big Beam fan overall, finding most of their stuff overpriced - but I do love the higher/barrel proof stuff. I think for under $50, Bookers is damn fine bourbon. And - to your point, I've seen it at more than one bar (and typically is the best they've got).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Its a hot one, but if you're ready to deal with that and drink it neat, you will be rewarded. You just have to be ready for the heat. A lot of the disappointments with Booker's I believe are the high expectations. People want to compare it to stagg or WLW but those are much older bourbons. Booker's is not too old, but not too young and yes very hot, but its something that you can overcome and enjoy. I've never been able to add water without ruining the taste.
    That about sums it up for me. And you're right, GTS and WLW, while carrying even higher proof, are really different creatures due to the added age involved. I just drink it neat and enjoy it, though it's simply a matter of personal taste and others may not care for it. To each his own, I guess.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet