Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Winter 2011/2012

I found a stash of 2000 and 2001 Evan Williams Single Barrel bottles at a store here in Madison. They were marked down to $10.99. The store employee (owner?) said they were marked down in anticipation of the new vintage. I bought a few, and left a few on the shelf.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny.Applebury View Post
    I found a stash of 2000 and 2001 Evan Williams Single Barrel bottles at a store here in Madison. They were marked down to $10.99. The store employee (owner?) said they were marked down in anticipation of the new vintage. I bought a few, and left a few on the shelf.
    What a fantastic buy - that's pretty much the price of one dram in NYC. I can't find the 2000 anywhere.

Based off early reviews: 2000 > 2001 > 2002

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

In upstate NY, Bankers Club, on sale at $17.00 for 1.75 L. I bought this on a hunch, as often (not always of course) I've had good experience with private labels or similar bottlings that come very low-priced. This one is is bottled by an outfit out of Scofield, NJ. What a great buy! The bourbon is fully matured, NAS but I'd guess 4-8 years old. No hint of corny immaturity or other flavors one would think would come in a bottom shelf package. It had a rich, chocolately taste, like Benchmark in the 70's, say. That rummy-like taste of richness some bourbons had in the past. I'd guess the profile is selected with that taste in mind, given the evident antiquity of the label, enhanced by a depiction of two well-dressed men playing a game of billiards in a club environment. I have had many bourbons at x-times the price (you name it) that weren't as good.

Gary

Advanced Taster

I am so jealous. (checks drive to Madison; 2.5 hours; damn) I would've cleared them out of the 2000.

Connoisseur

Got a TPS Bowman Rye, TPS 4R OBSK, and a Heaven Hill BIB White Label in the mail yesterday.

I love the HH BIB already, and my wife is so very grateful that it's $10 a bottle

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Got a TPS Bowman Rye, TPS 4R OBSK, and a Heaven Hill BIB White Label in the mail yesterday.

I love the HH BIB already, and my wife is so very grateful that it's $10 a bottle
    I just ordered a Lot B - my first Van Winkle - and one of the TPS 4R OBSK - it looks like it's a new "batch" from the last one they had. Let us know what you think of that 4R if you get a chance.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    I am so jealous. (checks drive to Madison; 2.5 hours; damn) I would've cleared them out of the 2000.
    I would have, too, if I hadn't stocked up on 2000 shortly after the 2001 was released. I think I have about a case in my bunker.

I'm also starting to feel the need to leave a few on the shelf when I find good buys. I hope that's more a function of my bunker size, rather than me turning soft.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    What a fantastic buy - that's pretty much the price of one dram in NYC. I can't find the 2000 anywhere.

Based off early reviews: 2000 > 2001 > 2002
    I'd trade the low price of retail bottles that we have here in Wisconsin for a couple of those fantastic bars you have over in NYC. I went to both The Brandy Library and PDT while I was in Manhattan last month. Those are fantastic bars! Prices be damned...

Advanced Taster

I would have, too, if I hadn't stocked up on 2000 shortly after the 2001 was released. I think I have about a case in my bunker.

I'm also starting to feel the need to leave a few on the shelf when I find good buys. I hope that's more a function of my bunker size, rather than me turning soft.
    Well that depends on if ur leaving EWSB on the shelf or VWFRR...if its the latter then I would say ur turning soft.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Eye View Post
    I just ordered a Lot B - my first Van Winkle - and one of the TPS 4R OBSK - it looks like it's a new "batch" from the last one they had. Let us know what you think of that 4R if you get a chance.
    Congrats on the Lot B! They were only in stock for about 3 hours. Crazy times we live in...

I had been waiting for several months for a new TPS OBSK. I'll probably crack it open on New Year's Eve, and I'll definitely report back after I do.