Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bottles did you get on Christmas Eve/Day?

My son brought me a bottle of Rittenhouse BiB from up north. It was a welcomed sight because it's not available here.

The Wednesday before Christmas, WA state got its share of the Van Winkles to it's flagship store in West Seattle. The SoDo store got its in the day before (even though they usually take shipments on Wednesday) and sold out in hours. The store staff said they'd have 'em at around 1; I got there at 12:30, about 5 minutes after they started selling them, one bottle per person. They were out of all the Pappy's before they got to me, but I did get a VWFRR, which had been my second choice (I had been hoping to score a 20...) so I considered myself happy.

After work, I had the bright idea to do a quick stop by a couple other stores to see if I could pick off the leavings (since WA was also distributing the BTACs on the same day) and I scored Handy! Quite a nice day.

Then, on Christmas, my dad floored me by giving me another VWFRR that he found after a single phone call in OR, another control state (and one that sells to bars and the public indiscriminately, with the bars scooping up most of the rarer stuff.) I was suitably flabbergasted and grateful, I think.

Disciple

A very close friend gave me a Pappy 15.

And the wife let me buy another PHC Wheater.

I got Eagle Rare 17, Big Bottom Port Finish, Tobermory 10 year, and Glenfarclas 25 year. I can't wait to break into the Glenfarclas.

Taster

I got 2 bottles of Handy and 3 bottles of Stagg as well as a couple of Glencairn whiskey glasses with a Welsh dragon engraved on them from the step daughter, she got me the glasses and I purchased the bottles.

Advanced Taster

A friend gave me a bottle of ER1B.

Enthusiast

Christmas Eve's gifts to myself: E.H. Taylor single barrel and a pair of Willett pot stills. Received on Christmas day: Black Maple Hill 16 YO. Apparently I was good this year.

Connoisseur

Bought myself a bottle of Abraham Bowman rye and received Chet Zoeller's book, 'Bourbon in Kentucky: A History of Distilleries in Kentucky' and a big box of Maker's Mark bourbon balls.

Taster

An Everett's hand picked Baby Saz. From what I hear, any hand picked Baby Saz will be unobtainium for a long time. This was Everett's last bottle too.

Anyone else run across hand picked Baby Saz lately?

I hope BT is putting up more of their rye for aging. I just love the stuff.
    Lurk on
    Is not posting on a thread a bad thing when you're not an expert on the given topic?
    Lurk off

Enthusiast

Bit of a cheat, but I did wistfully sigh in front of a bottle of Rock Hill Farms long enough yesterday at Binny's for the wife to finally say "Would you like me to buy that for you as a late Christmas present?"

After several milliseconds, I answered in the affirmative.
    Last edited by stevegoz; 12-31-2011 at 08:10.