Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

New from Seattle

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, living in Seattle. Been drinking bourbon for around 12 years. I started with Old Crow, EC12, Bookers, Beam white label, and Woodford Reserve. Didn't really do much experimenting for a long, long time, though I did try the occasional mid- to upper-shelf selection (the other Beam single barrels, Jefferson's Reserve) in bars. Finally got a yen to approach things more systematically, and to map out the territory, as it were, earlier this year. And in the process of looking for some information, I stumbled across this forum. Since then, I've branched out considerably; I've tried some whiskeys that have increased my enjoyment of bourbon immensely.

My current favorites are OGD114 and VSOF -- very different ends of the spectrum, I know. I found the OGD114 to be like Bookers terms of sheer flavor, but balanced. Lots of flavor, but everything in proportion. The VSOF is like desert whiskey -- loads of vanilla, with a kind of yeasty-funk at the end that put me off at first (and which I haven't detected in any other whiskey), but that I now think is just part of the charm. I also love it's lingering, aromatic finish. I have tried and do like the Weller 12, which is sort of in the same quadrant, taste-wise, as the VSOF, but I prefer the Fitzgerald. I got the notion that I ought to check out all three from reading this forum, so thanks for that!

Some bourbons that I've tried that didn't work for me are the Old Ezra 101 and the ETL. The former's flavor had too many of the qualities that I associate with cheap booze for me to enjoy it. The latter is definitely elegant, and I can appreciate what it's trying to do, but for me, the char kind of gets in the way of subtleties that it seems like it's going for.

So, it looks like I've got a thing for wheaters. But I can appreciate the OGD, and I have really enjoyed other high-rye mashes, including the FR1B. So, next I'll see how I like a full rye. I somehow managed to luck into 2 VWFRR's and a 2011 Handy, none of which have I opened yet. I was thinking about picking up a Russell's Reserve 6 or Sazerac 6, just to establish a frame of reference. What do you think? Any other suggestions of where to go next?

Looking forward to joining in!

Re: New from Seattle

Nearly forgot: my name's Michael. Hope everyone's keeping warm out there!

Connoisseur

If you like OGD 114, you may like Rittenhouse Rye. I prefer Wild Turkey Rye compared to RR. I like Sazerac quite a bit.

Connoisseur

Welcome Michael. Great to have another Seattlite on board.

Sounds like you prefer the in-your-face style of bourbon and rye. Might want to try the Knob Creek single barrel, JTS Brown BIB, WT rye or Jefferson's rye.

Connoisseur

Welcome! I would try any of the Wellers, or maybe Rebel Yell. They are pretty available around our neck of the woods. I am assuming you have tried Makers, I have always found it a good pour. I dont know if you like the Bookers, Bakers is my favorite of the Beam small batch bottles. Enjoy your exploration!

Todd

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate the suggestions; sounds like the Wild Turkey 101 Rye might be a good place to go next.

A side note: I know WA is leaving the ranks of the control states. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm sad to see it. I appreciated that they tried to get the VW and BTAC distributed as widely as possible among the folks who were interested, I always got good advice and friendly service from my local state-run store, and the minimum square footage is going to make it much harder to find a source for good whiskey in my neighborhood. I'm skeptical that a retailer like Costco is going to carry the variety that I can find even at my local store, let alone to be able to provide the kind of helpful service that I got. We'll see how things turn out, and hope for the best.

Taster

Welcome if you want to try some ryes I would also suggest Bulliet though not the best I think it is a good definition of what a rye should basically be. I am hoping that some of the stores in WA will have a whiskey person running the liquor and will bring in some of the good stuff. I do believe that it will be worse before it gets better though.