Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 144
  1. #21
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    435

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    But ABV doesn't simply equate to "heat," of course. I much prefer the 2011 young bottled that I've had compared to the 2010 on-tap that I had. (While acknowledging that the method of delivery may affect the characteristics of each.) My cellar only goes back to the 2009, and I'm giving that two more years before I begin to vertical taste.

    I had the 2008 fresh and had the same reaction to the alcohol presence, but I was also much less attuned to the delights of high proofs back then. (I was still drinking my bourbon on the rocks in 2008.)

    Compliments on how well the alcohol is hidden in the 2011 far outweigh complaints about heat over on Beer Advocate. But in any event you're patient enough to wait for it to mellow, and have quite the supply to enjoy in coming years!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    Least hot? I'm not sure how people would think that when it's one of the highest alcohol releases in the past few years (up to 14.5%). Being a bourbon drinker I like my beers robust with plenty of bourbon, but the alcohol is a bit too much this year, which takes over from the nice vanilla notes that are usually more present. I like it as well, but I'll let it sit a few more months before popping another bottle.

  2. #22
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    1,337
    Bell's Christmas ale


    ---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443728,-83.491656
    1. If something bad happens, drink in an attempt to forget.
    2. If something good happens, drink in order to celebrate.
    3. And if nothing happens, drink, to make something happen.
    Charles Bukowski




  3. #23
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    762

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I hadn't seen or even heard of it, and hey, rye! Not bad. A bit subtle in the rye department but quite delicious. Hey, why's my glass empty already?!

    edit: no, it's not subtle. Pickle juice and wintergreen make themselves known after some time in the glass.
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 01-10-2012 at 17:46.

  4. #24
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Picking up steam on this week with a Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11. An odd amalgamation of an Ale brewed with Anaheim chilies and Cinnamon. The subdued chilies hit in the nose. Solid ale flavors over the palate. And, a wonderfully interestingly chewy finish. Whoda ever thunk to put A. Chilies and cinnamon together in an ale? Odd, but it works. But, whoda thunk marigolds and a hint of anise would work in an infused vodka? I'll be at Stone in 2 weeks. Maybe, I'll put that in the suggestion box for 12.12.12.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  5. #25
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Picking up steam on this week with a Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11. An odd amalgamation of an Ale brewed with Anaheim chilies and Cinnamon. The subdued chilies hit in the nose. Solid ale flavors over the palate. And, a wonderfully interestingly chewy finish. Whoda ever thunk to put A. Chilies and cinnamon together in an ale? Odd, but it works. But, whoda thunk marigolds and a hint of anise would work in an infused vodka? I'll be at Stone in 2 weeks. Maybe, I'll put that in the suggestion box for 12.12.12.
    I had one of these at Christmas and thought it was good also. Odd, but good (as you said).

    Picked up a six pack of Founder's Red Rye PA today...haven't had this one yet and will be enjoying it in about an hour.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

  6. #26
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    I had one of these at Christmas and thought it was good also. Odd, but good (as you said).

    Picked up a six pack of Founder's Red Rye PA today...haven't had this one yet and will be enjoying it in about an hour.
    Ha! Great minds (nearly) think alike! I just returned from the corner store a few minutes ago. I literally was reaching for the Founder's, when I made a quick aversion and grabbed a 6 pack of Red Brick Blonde. If you report back with a good experience, I may have to make a return trip.

    I'm now settling in with a Leffe Blonde. I have really been enjoying this beer over the last couple of weeks. I think I'm on my 3rd 6 pack in that time. Very tasty. It has many of the characteristics of my all-time fave, Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. And, any of you who have been over, you know I prefer blondes...
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  7. #27
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,157

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    I participated in an Imperial Stout tasting recently. It was hard to choose but the Yeti Imperial Stout identified on the label as Belgian-style (there are different iterations of Yeti Imperial Stout) took the palm I thought, with elegant roasted and coffee-like flavours. Nogne, a Scandinavian Imperial, impressed with its fine expresso-like taste. Stone Black IPA is not labelled as a stout or porter but it is a kind of Imperial porter IMO except with a big punch of West Coast C-hop. Refreshing (so to speak) after the others which are more in the English style. There was one bottom-fermented example, the Polish Zywiec, which was very well-made and testifies to the long tradition of strong stout in the Baltic lands.

    There were one or two others including a rare example from the sole craft brewery in Puerto Rico, finished in a rum cask I understand and showing good aged notes.

    In my view again, Imperial Stout is the top of the beer range. There are many great beers and beer styles but this is the peak for me in terms of flavor and complexity.

    Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-28-2012 at 15:23.

  8. #28
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I participated in an Imperial Stout tasting recently. It was hard to choose but the Yeti Imperial Stout identified on the label as Belgian-style (there are different iterations of Yeti Imperial Stout) took the palm I thought, with elegant roasted and coffee-like flavours. Nogne, a Scandinavian Imperial, impressed with its fine expresso-like taste. Stone Black IPA is not labelled as a stout or porter but it is a kind of Imperial porter IMO except with a big punch of West Coast C-hop. Refreshing (so to speak) after the others which are more in the English style. There was one bottom-fermented example, the Polish Zywiec, which was very well-made and testifies to the long tradition of strong stout in the Baltic lands.

    There were one or two others including a rare example from the sole craft brewery in Puerto Rico, finished in a rum cask I understand and showing good aged notes.

    In my view again, Imperial Stout is the top of the beer range. There are many great beers and beer styles but this is the peak for me in terms of flavor and complexity.

    Gary
    I don't think we get the Yeti Stout in Atlanta (do we, Joe?) but I'll keep an eye out for it. I always enjoy your recommendations, Gary.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

  9. #29
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    I don't think we get the Yeti Stout in Atlanta (do we, Joe?) but I'll keep an eye out for it. I always enjoy your recommendations, Gary.
    We sure do. I know I see it regularly at Mink's. I posted this review a couple of years ago.

    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...642#post135642
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  10. #30
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    We sure do. I know I see it regularly at Mink's. I posted this review a couple of years ago.

    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...642#post135642
    Well I might just need to make a trip over to Mink's then. I've never seen it at the Total Wine in Alpharetta or Dunwoody, but perhaps I've just missed it.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Winter 2011/2012
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 774
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 11:02
  2. What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012
    By Special Reserve in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 793
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 19:59
  3. What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2011
    By Stones in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 17:21
  4. What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10
    By HipFlask in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 16:41
  5. What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09
    By barturtle in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 06:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top