Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Another unusual taste in the Immort Ale is smoke, which comes from peated barley. What did you think? To me, it's the messiest beer I've ever had, but it's so much fun to drink.
    Yeah. I didn't realize it had peat smoked malt in it until I took a sip; quite a surprise. It was unique, but not something I truly enjoyed. My homebrew buddy has been trying to talk me into a peat smoked beer, but I've been resisting. This didn't do him any favors, but I'll certainly let him try one of the other bottles I have sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    FFF 2010 Dark Lord RIS. It mellowed over two years as I expected, but has lost some of the coffee/ roastiness, and is sweeter than I would have expected.
    The wife and I cracked a 2011 DL while watching T2 with some friends last night. I enjoy the beer enough, but wish there was less of the soy sauce component. Certainly sweet and thick enough to be a long slow sipper though.

Virtuoso

Today was Double Daisy Cutter Day. Though Chicago's Half Acre brewery is practically in my backyard, this was the first time I made it over to their brewery to pick up a special release. Their regular Daisy Cutter is a very pleasant pale ale with some creamy honey and grapefruit notes. The (annually?) brewed Double Daisy Cutter is more hoppy with more of a bite, but a really really mellow 8%. I picked up a growler and four 22oz bottles.

The bourbon will have to take a break for a few hours while I tend to the growler.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Bell's Hopslam tonight. Very good and balanced. Hoppy (obviously) but not overly so. I'm glad I picked up a couple of these!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Their regular Daisy Cutter is a very pleasant pale ale
    I love regular Daisy Cutter and wish it was more readily available. I still contend that it's my favorite pale ale. Most of my beer drinking buddies pass it up now for Zombie Dust, which I like (but not quite as much). I picked up some Double Daisy Cutter last year. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go through the hassle of getting up there to get it.

Enthusiast

Kennebunkport Brewing Co. (KBC) Porter. Good stuff, $5.99/sixpack at trader joe's.

Enthusiast

Had my first Westvleteren 12. Picked up a coupe of bottles in a trade. I don't know if it is the best beer in the world as touted since I have not tasted all the beers yet (I am trying) but it is the best beer I have ever tasted by a wide margin.

Virtuoso

Williamsburg Alewerks Washington's Porter... these flks are making some great beer and the porter is spot on. This is a classic porter not a stout wanna be or a heavy dark ale. Worth a try...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Had my first Westvleteren 12. Picked up a coupe of bottles in a trade. I don't know if it is the best beer in the world as touted since I have not tasted all the beers yet (I am trying) but it is the best beer I have ever tasted by a wide margin.
    I've had a few Westy's, all fresh. I've liked them but not any more than other quality Quads that I've had. Really looking forward to aging some to see what develops. Right now I think my oldest bottle is approximately two years. I'm going to wait until I have one for three and then do a vertical.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Good Gosh, March already...This year is moving. Wrapping up the week with a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA. I had this at the Brewery in January, and was pleased to see it at my local shop this week.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A blending of Sinha Stout (Lion Stout in some markets) and a craft stout from Ontario, Black Creek Stout.

Lion is from Sri Lanka which may sound odd, but it isn't. The brewery was set up by British capital in the 1800's to service British planters and other Britons resident in what was then Ceylon. The brewery just carried on, basically making the same 1870's-type London stout into this modern world of today.

I blended them to get what I felt was the best out of both.

Gary