Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 144
  1. #41
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    429

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

    I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...
    Last edited by stevegoz; 02-03-2012 at 13:14.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

  2. #42
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.
    Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

    I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  3. #43
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    429

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

    I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!
    I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

  4. #44
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

    I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...
    I grabbed a bottle of the Bramble Rye today too...

    I also grabbed a 6 pack of 3 Floyd's Gumballhead and some 3 Floyd's Robert the Bruce!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  5. #45
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    749

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).
    Last year the GI BCS sat on the shelf here in DC for months, but I haven't even seen it this year. I have some BCS from 2009 aging, so I wasn't going to get any new bottles, but still... I had no idea. Check out Ebay for what this stuff is going for!

  6. #46
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    815

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Way too many pints of Founders Double Trouble last night, freshly tapped keg at a local beer bar. Think tonight will be very calm, still recovering.

  7. #47
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    299

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    5 hour waits at Russian River Brew Co for Pliny the Younger. I love me some Pliny the Elder, so I'm going to brave the brewery...next week.
    tl; dnr

  8. #48
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA tonight! Love this stuff!

  9. #49
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    815

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Pulled out some special stashed away beers for the Super Bowl. Mikkeller 10 and 8 wired IPA while cooking jambalaya for the game. Epic (NZ) IPA, Port Mongo IPA, and Moylan's Hopsickle lined up and ready. Spicy food and hoppy beers is today's theme.

  10. #50
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

    Went with some Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Founder's Red Rye PA last night during the game. Both went very well with the Superbowl.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Winter 2011/2012
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 774
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 10:02
  2. What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012
    By Special Reserve in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 793
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 18:59
  3. What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2011
    By Stones in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 16:21
  4. What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10
    By HipFlask in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 15:41
  5. What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09
    By barturtle in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 05:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top