Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...
    Last edited by stevegoz; 02-03-2012 at 13:14.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.
    Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!
    I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Disciple

I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...
    I grabbed a bottle of the Bramble Rye today too...

I also grabbed a 6 pack of 3 Floyd's Gumballhead and some 3 Floyd's Robert the Bruce!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).
    Last year the GI BCS sat on the shelf here in DC for months, but I haven't even seen it this year. I have some BCS from 2009 aging, so I wasn't going to get any new bottles, but still... I had no idea. Check out Ebay for what this stuff is going for!

Connoisseur

Way too many pints of Founders Double Trouble last night, freshly tapped keg at a local beer bar. Think tonight will be very calm, still recovering.

Enthusiast

5 hour waits at Russian River Brew Co for Pliny the Younger. I love me some Pliny the Elder, so I'm going to brave the brewery...next week.
    tl; dnr

Virtuoso

Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA tonight! Love this stuff!

Connoisseur

Pulled out some special stashed away beers for the Super Bowl. Mikkeller 10 and 8 wired IPA while cooking jambalaya for the game. Epic (NZ) IPA, Port Mongo IPA, and Moylan's Hopsickle lined up and ready. Spicy food and hoppy beers is today's theme.

Disciple

Went with some Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Founder's Red Rye PA last night during the game. Both went very well with the Superbowl.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there