Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Utah

Disciple

Hello from Utah

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for a long time and finally decided it was time to post.

I'm in Salt Lake City, where unfortunately I have to deal with state stores and limited selection. But we have it OK here; we get the BTAC, Parker's Heritage and some of the Van Winkles. I only wish Barton (we have 1792) and Four Roses (not a drop except for Bulleit) were better represented in our selection. Fortunately I make pretty regular trips to Denver, which gives me access to some variety.

After a few years of drinking and accumulating Bourbon, I have... well, way too many open bottles, but that's given me the opportunity to taste a lot of different whiskeys and it's fun to give my friends a wide selection. Now that I've tried pretty much everything that's readily available to me (and more) I have a better idea of what bottles I like the most, and right now I'm trying to cut down the number of opens and replace them with a nice bunker.

My tastes swing to higher proofs, especially barrel strength. I love Bourbons with a thick mouthfeel and a nice long finish. I enjoy spicy flavors and have been drinking a bit of rye recently, but I certainly can't deny the allure of wheaters. If I had to pick only one "everyday" Bourbon, it would be Wild Turkey 101, although recently I'm drinking some Old Forester Signature (a new offering here!) and really enjoying it. I've also been really digging a couple Willett bottles (7 and 9 yo) that I picked up in Colorado. Besides Bourbon and rye, I really like peaty Scotch and blanco Tequila.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend a week in Bardstown and the vicinity a couple years ago. We toured Buffalo Trace and Maker's Mark and made it to the Heaven Hill tasting but a thunderstorm prevented us from seeing the rickhouses there. Besides the Bourbon distilleries, Kentucky just blew us both away. The people there were so friendly and there is so much to see (even besides distilleries!) We can't wait to go back.

I'm excited to participate a little instead of just reading.

-Jim

Guru

Re: Hello from Utah

Great intro and welcome aboard! Glad to hear my fellow Kentuckians treated you so well. We do have a lot to offer in the commonwealth, and so does this board.

Curious...no mention of High West? Those guys have brought some really tremendous stuff to the market!
    Last edited by MyOldKyDram; 08-22-2012 at 18:33.

Disciple

I have Rendezvous, Bourye, Campfire, Double Rye!, and American Prairie Reserve. I like them all and I love supporting a local business. Son of Bourye is high on my list of future purchases but I need to knock off some opens before I add to them. I also have Silver Western Oat, which is my replacement vodka for Bloody Marys. I'll open an OMG Rye when that one's empty but it will take a while. High West has a warehouse in Salt Lake along with their distillery and restaurant in Park City. The warehouse is very near my office and I've gone there to buy directly from them (beats supporting the Utah DABC)... the smell there reminds me of Kentucky!

I wish I hadn't missed out on the 12 year and 16 year and especially the Valley Tan but I was busy with a new daughter and not paying much attention. 21 is widely available to me but I don't know that I'll spring for it. I should at least go order myself a shot in the restaurant.

Hi Jim welcome to the site I hope you enjoy your time here, post often. Come join us in chat some evening as bourbon is best enjoyed with good company.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple
    Thanks Paul. I did join the chat for a few minutes last night. It was late but there were a few friendly folks there. Seems that Thursday night is chat night?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Thanks Paul. I did join the chat for a few minutes last night. It was late but there were a few friendly folks there. Seems that Thursday night is chat night?
    I'll be there tonight

Disciple

Welcome to the site, Jim!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Jim it was nice meeting you in chat last night come back again.

Disciple

Welcome Jim,nice to meet you in chat and let the flood gates of knowledge open to you as well as your wallet to this great hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Welcome Jim,nice to meet you in chat and let the flood gates of knowledge open to you as well as your wallet to this great hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Jim it was nice meeting you in chat last night come back again.
    What they said. Welcome aboard. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"