Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Weller 12 question?

Is Weller 12 being phased out? You can't get it is VA, NC, SC, GA, and it appears TN in the future. What states do carry it? I can order it online for around $30 a bottle but in October I purchased several bottles (all he had) for $21 each in Texas but even the store owner said he didn't know if he was going to get anymore.

Virtuoso

Re: Weller 12 question?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Is Weller 12 being phased out? You can't get it is VA, NC, SC, GA, and it appears TN in the future. What states do carry it? I can order it online for around $30 a bottle but in October I purchased several bottles (all he had) for $21 each in Texas but even the store owner said he didn't know if he was going to get anymore.
    Interesting, and, seems to be a recurring subject thru the past few years. With all the indicators pointing to fewer & fewer age stmt labels, nothing would surprise me. As I just posted on a related, it is not hard to find in Memphis but seems to be scarcer in TN as one goes east. A couple of years ago, I could not find it there or Nashville or even Louisville (believe it or not) where I was working at the time.

Also, as everyone is aware, the price has creeped from the high teens to nearly $30 now where I have found it. It has quickly passed from a bargain to average in terms of price. Of course, that seems to be common for good bourbon in demand as a whole and sad for our wallets which are constantly going south in the wonderful economic world of the Dali Bama (sorry for that tidbit...out of line for this post subject...apologies..lol).
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-31-2011 at 07:09.

Enthusiast

Couldn't find it in Ga., so about a month ago bought a handle from TPS, and I think it was $49. The WSR handle sells in ATL for $20: what a deal.

All in all a good deal on W-12, esp. when combined with other purchases to level out the shipping costs.

Happy New Year to all SB'ers!!!!!
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Virtuoso

There are still a few Weller 12's to be seen on shelves in N. Fla. and S. Ga. - generally in the $25 range. Could be old stock.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Enoch, There is a decent amount of it on shelves here in Illinois. I just noticed what looked like a fresh case of bottles put out in one store. I would guess less production of Weller 12 coming with the Van Winkles now needing barrels of ageing stock too, but conjecture is only that.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I would guess less production of Weller 12 coming with the Van Winkles now needing barrels of ageing stock too, but conjecture is only that.
    An excellent point...I had not thought about that factor.

Enthusiast

Seems like we still have a decent amount floating around here in CA. This is actually the next bottle on my "to buy" list. That and another OWA or two.

Enthusiast

I ran across 2 stores today in Central Florida with about 5 bottles each. I've got a few already so I passed on spending the $27.99 they were charging.
    ____
    Chris

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    Seems like we still have a decent amount floating around here in CA. This is actually the next bottle on my "to buy" list. That and another OWA or two.
    Seems to be more common in the North Bay. I rarely see it on the peninsula or in the east bay, but WSR and OWA are common.

Advanced Taster

I've only seen it twice on the shelf. I picked up a couple of 750s near Johnson City, TN last year. A month later I was near Watertown, NY and a store there had handles for around $45. I almost got one but I blew my bourbon budget on four bottles of Rittenhouse instead.....