Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: High West, Rittenhouse, & Bulleit Ryes

I really enjoyed the High West Rendezvous Rye when I had it. If you want to save yourself a little bit of money the Double Rye is also very good and should save you between $15 and $25 depending on prices in your neck of the woods. The Double Rye also seems to be more available, at least in CA. I don't have a bottle in front of me but I believe the Double Rye mixes 12 and 4 year ryes as opposed to 16 and 4 for the Rendezvous.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by STLbourbon View Post
    I'm no rye expert, but I must say that it's as enjoyable of a rye as I've ever tasted. Haven't had the pleasure of trying the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye yet, so this is currently a top favorite of mine. I think that it exalts the rye flavor in quite an impressive way. So yeah, track one down. I'd say it's worth it for sure.

STLb
    Funny enough, I just did a comparison of the Rendezvous and the Van Winkle. Both excellent ryes, and I recommend both of them to friends, but very different indeed. Similar proof, similar STATED age (13 vs. blend of 6 and 16, though we know the VW is closer to 18/19)... but the added years on the Van Winkle really show (in a good way).

http://www.thirstysouth.com/2012/01/...st-rendezvous/

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by biskuit View Post
    Similar proof, similar STATED age (13 vs. blend of 6 and 16, though we know the VW is closer to 18/19)... but the added years on the Van Winkle really show (in a good way).

http://www.thirstysouth.com/2012/01/...st-rendezvous/
    I picked up a bottle of Rendezvous Rye on Saturday to compare to what I already had...VW, THH, Ritt BIB & Bowman. So far, it's been a disappointment. Maybe the competition is too strong, or, maybe I revisit after a few more days on its own. Just not enough bite for me. Maybe I should have tried the Double Rye first as it has younger rye swirled with 16yo. Or, maybe just my taste buds have been singed by too much Stagg over Christmas...

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    STLbourbon - as a fellow rye lover, I have been intrigued by High West with the amount of rye in the mashbill and would like your opinion. As I cannot get it here in my state, do you think it is a whiskey worth taking the effort to chase down and the added expense? I am leaning towards yes as it sounds like a really unique product.
    Just an FYI, you CAN get High West in the State of Washington. That said, it's usually via special order with the store. We're hoping that we can improve availability this year.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Just an FYI, you CAN get High West in the State of Washington. That said, it's usually via special order with the store. We're hoping that we can improve availability this year.
    High West is all over WA. For whatever reason the search just doesn't show it.

Try calling these stores: