Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Villeroy & Boch Whiskey Glasses

Guys,

Have been considering pulling the trigger on a set of these glasses for a while. I have narrowed it down to the islands, highlands, and lowlands model. Which would you go with?

The lowlands seems very similar to a glencairne, while the other two offer a wider mouth (judging by the pictures).

Any suggestions?

Enthusiast

Re: Villeroy & Boch Whiskey Glasses

I'm guessing youre talking about these:

http://eshop.villeroy-boch.com/us/sh...alsdb/dbid_578

I dont know. Its a close call. Lowlands is the tallest, followed by highlands, then Island. Island is the widest, then highlands, then lowlands (reverse ratio).

how many oz are they? they look big unless you're doing rocks or water? I liked the nosing goblet.

Enthusiast

Not sure on the ounces, but the measurements are 4 inches to 5.25 inches in height.

Advanced Taster

Seems a bit gimmicky to me, I would go with the smallest size, I don't like to have a huge glass with a tiny bit of whisky in it. The smaller fit better in the hand, and allow the glass to warm while you are holding it. Could just be personal preference though.

Guru

I like the island.

But then I prefer the Riedel bourbon glasses or a snifter to the Glencairn. I understand and appreciate shapes that concentrate the nose of a spirit, but the Glencairn's opening is so narrow that I find it uncomfortable to drink from. I have to tip my head more than tipping the glass. And I don't like that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Seems a bit gimmicky to me, I would go with the smallest size, I don't like to have a huge glass with a tiny bit of whisky in it. The smaller fit better in the hand, and allow the glass to warm while you are holding it. Could just be personal preference though.
    I'm pretty sure they hold the same volume but with different dimensions. I seem to recall someone else on this forum saying they had (and liked) their straight whiskey glasses.

And I acthually think the highland or island would fit best in the hand. And yeah, the lowland definitely looks similar in style to the glencairn.

Virtuoso

I would probably go with the Island, just because the Lowland is already very close to the Glencairns I already have.

Virtuoso

Get them all and report back on which works best!

10-4 sailor22. I love my glencairnes but want to try something new. I agree with moose. I like the smaller sized glasses for drinking bourbon since I typically only pour 2-3 ounces.

I'll probably go with the highland and lowland and see how they drink. The island seems too much like a highball glass.