Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Let's see, Four Roses Single Barrel in August or so, 2 Lots of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon on Sept. 2nd, More Stagg , something from Barton, and a Christmas gift from Julian. Wow! This year is shaping up well!

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: What are you drinking right now? this fall?

A fine fall crop is on the horizon, indeed!

Taster

I'm enjoying a pour of WT 101/8yr. Went to Canada last week and bought this bottle at the duty free shop. $17 for a 1 liter bottle and they gave me a bottle of Wild Turkey BBQ sauce as a bonus. I like the WT101, good rich
    flavor with a long finish. Haven't tried the BBQ sauce yet.

Guru

Wild Turkey 101 in a Glencairn blender's glass with a gurgle of water. (Note: A gurgle is the amount of water that flows from a half-full Arrowhead Pure Mountain Spring Water dispenser during the time it takes to say the word "gurgle". If I were a slow-talking Kentuckian, I'd probably go with a splash, instead. )

Am I just in an extraordinarily bourbon-receptive mood today, or does this concoction taste as fine as any WT bottling I've ever tasted?

In the past I was put off by the metaphor "unlocked" to describe the effect on flavor when adding water to bourbon. The word just didn't seem descriptive enough to be convincing. Nevertheless, I have learned by experimenting that there are times when I enjoy a bourbon more with some water added. (Am I headed down the road to becoming a Basil Hayden's drinker? )

It still seems counterintuitive to me to think of dilution leading to more flavor. So, what gives? I'm thinking that sometimes there's just too much flavor for our taste buds to handle and that adding water reduces the intensity to a level that is compatible with our taste and aroma sensors.

Similar situations exist with our other senses. Music can be too loud (well, for adults, anyway); light can be too bright for comfortable reading; a touch can be painful if it is so heavy that it becomes a blow.

As with our other senses, the level of intensity that tastes good won't be the same for everyone. Here's to drinking it the way you enjoy it.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

It still seems counterintuitive to me to think of dilution leading to more flavor. So, what gives? I'm thinking that sometimes there's just too much flavor for our taste buds to handle and that adding water reduces the intensity to a level that is compatible with our taste and aroma sensors.
    Dave, it is my understanding that it is not simply a matter of dilution. The articles I recently referred to reading several years ago concerning single malt scotch and water said that adding water to whiskey results in the release of esters and other aromatics. The implication was that this release does not occur when tasting uncut whiskey.

I am not a chemist, so I have no direct knowledge of what I'm saying, but the source I took it from seemed to be knowledgeable.

Tim

Virtuoso

I haven't been a big fan of Baker's in the past, but it was mighty fine about a week ago. I was in Atlanta for Supercomm. I had dinner with a young cousin of mine on Wed night. We started out at Fogo de Chao (excellent Brazilian restaurant - the experience is worth a whole thread in the off topic forum) with lots of meat and a bottle of wine.

We ended up the evening at the Park Tavern overlooking Piedmont Park and the Buckhead skyline. Four Baker's later, I must say I had a wonderful time swapping family stories and getting to know my younger cousin. Thanks to the large meal, I only had a pleasant buzz and a sound sleep that night.

Administrator in exile

A weller 12yo and a Weller Centennial for comparison. Two good quality bourbons, each with their strong points. I will post a formal copmparison in a couple of days, but I think for the money, Weller 12yo is the better bet . YMMV

Virtuoso

I spoke earlier of being in Atlanta last week. On Tuesday night, I shot some pool at Smith's Old Bar with an old friend of mine who has moved to Atlanta. I brought along a co-worker who was also working the trade show. We all had a great time.

I suggested Joey D's Oak Room for dinner as I had heard here at SB.com that it has a great bourbon selection. I offered to buy the first round. I ordered 20 yo Pappy. I was shocked when my previously non-bourbon drinking friends said they were inspired by me and ordered the same - neat in a snifter!. I did not say a word to them about the Pappy being $11/glass.

My co-worker really enjoyed his glass. I may have found a new bourbon buddy. My friend said he had to drive and didn't finish his. I obliged and finished it off. I'd say a win-win in both cases.

I later told them about the price and we had a good laugh. I jokingly suggested that next time they wanted to experiment, they should warn me up front.

Virtuoso

For the first time in four years, I am out of ORVW 15 yo. None in the bunker. But, there's a very good reason for that.

I was attending a neighbor's surprise 40th birthday party this past Saturday. The joke, though, was on me, my wife, and another couple. The surprise birthday party was a disguise for a 20th wedding anniversary party for my wife and I and the other neighboring couple. Yep, we were definitely surprised.

So, I figured this was a night to celebrate and had my kids run over a nearly full bottle of ORVW 15 yo. (My first thought was GTS, but at 137 proof, I didn't think that would be a kind thing to do to the other guests who wanted to share.) I behaved myself and paced myself quite well, but, alas, the bottle, even though it was hidden behind the host's JB white, didn't last the night. I didn't care, I can always buy more. The best part was that I heard that an s-word neighbor tried the ORVW and fell in love with it. Another convert?

We all had a great time. The wives wore their bridesmaid's dresses and the husbands wore suits. Lucky me - I couldn't dress up cuz it was a surprise - I was comfy in the geek's business uniform - a polo and khakis.

The local (relatively) small town paper covered the event. The reporter hung with us for four hours! Is that small town? or did she need a life? or were we that much fun? The article is supposed to be in the paper tomorrow (Wed). If the article is online, I'll post a link.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Darn right, we expect pics, press, all the bells and whistles, CL. Congratulations!! Toasting you with VOB, tonight!!