Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Tonight Kentucky Spirit. A robust flavored single barrel and at a (suprisingly smooth) 101 proof! An exquisite experience, not for the "faint of heart" YUMMY!!

TomC

The Boss

Well, it was last night ... but we had company and I couldn't hang out on the computer.

Four Roses Single Barrel. This stuff has an incredibly distinct flavor profile. Very tasty, but I switched to beer after a couple ounces. I could (and probably would) drink the FRSB till the party reached it's inevitable conclusion

Enthusiast

Last night: Manhattans made with Wild Turkey Rye.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

This afternoon I was trapped for the second weekend in a row, in a thunderstorm. Last week on the Yamaha Seca, this week on the Buell. Again, when I finally got home, the rain had stopped and Patty said, "How'd you get so wet?" I poured out my boots, poured a Buffalo Trace and drank till the wrinkles were out of my feet. Took off the chill. I gotta remember to carry my rainsuit

Administrator in exile

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo. I am getting dangerously close to proclaiming a new favorite whiskey . I will, however hold off on that declaration until the end of this bottle, say probably Tuesday , to make sure it's not just an infatuation, a passing fad, a phase mind you; but I doubt it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Well I have in hand my 12 yo VanWinkle Rye Manhattan. Nice very nice. Of course if there's a way to screw it up I'll find it, Well not exactly but I did use a few drops each of 3 different bitters that I use. ( Peychard, Angostura, Orange bitters) I suppose if I want to compare this to my strongest recollection of a Manhattan I should use Angostura only . It's no worse for wear, I'm not going to pour it out and it is easily the best I've had.

Enthusiast

Re: Bitters. See section of the Esquire write-up on Manhattans and bitters.

Shake well with cracked ice: (Some insist that a proper Manhattan must be stirred, so as to prevent "clouding" or undue fraternization between the whiskey and the vermouth; Esquire says, let 'em mingle.)

2 oz good rye
    1 oz Italian vermouth
    2 dashes Angostura bitters

Strain into in chilled cocktail glass and garnish with twist or, of course, Maraschino cherry (which is subject to the same challenge re: purity as adding an olive to a Martini).

Of course, human beings, being human beings, can never leave well enough alone. Here, then, are the obligatory variants.

First, a few you can make by monkeying around with the bitters: lose the Angostura and pitch in a splash of Amer Picon and it's a Monahan; a splash of anisette and it's a Naragansett; two dashes of cherry brandy and a dash of absinthe and you've got a McKinley's Delight. Leave a dash of the Angostura in, add a dash of orange bitters and three dashes of absinthe: a Sherman.

Or you can tinker with the vermouth. Replace half the Italian vermouth with French for a so-called Perfect Manhattan. Equal parts of rye, French vermouth and Italian vermouth: a Jumbo. Make that with bourbon: a Honolulu (no bitters at all in those last two). Cut the Italian vermouth entirely and make it half bourbon and and half French vermouth: a Rosemary. To turn that into a Brown University, just add a couple dashes orange bitters. Coming almost full circle, if you make your classic two-to-one Manhattan with French vermouth instead of Italian and a dash of Amer Picon and one of Maraschino, you're in Brooklyn. And there are more--the Rob Roy, for one, but we gotta stop somewhere.

Guru

And I'm on my third 13 yo Van Winkle Rye Manhattan. I used Angostura bitters and Gallo sweet vermouth, and had to add a cherry... from a jar I keep in the fridge always soaking in bourbon. What kind of bourbon? Well, since I read a long time ago about Bobby always keeping some bourbon soaked cherries around, I thought it would only be right that when I did it to use Stagg. So let's just say that this is the best Manhattan I have had!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Gee Mark , I don't know what to say....... I have mine in some of Mr. Russells' finest, They go fairly quick, I think George T would do them proud! I would like another but I cut myself off, of course that could change too.

Disciple

Tonight I went front porch sippun' on the first decent night in forever, with a rather copious (sic??) glass of AAA 10 year. . . .aaaaah summer is FINALLY here. . .

TomC