Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Quick Old Forester FYI for the Kansas/Missouri/Nebraska bourbonia members.

O.F. has a rebate going on for us right now (maybe the rest of ya, too, for all I know, but the neck-hanger lists these states), and it ends next week. I just bought a 1.75L of O.F. 86 on sale at Royal Liquors in KC for $17.99, the $3 rebate will drop that price to $14.99. ~ $7 for a 750 at that rate, and mighty hard to beat at that price.

Administrator in exile

Elijah Craig 12yo. One of the staples of my cabinet. This ranks up there with Weller 12yo for the best bourbon value award. I think 12 years is when bourbon really transforms into something special. There are great younger bourbons of course (i.e. Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed), but most of my favorites are upperclassmen: Stagg, EC 12 &18, Weller 12yo, ER 17, OCPR 13yo, Pappy 20 & 23, etc.

Disciple

the \"Forgotten\" Single Barrel??

Henry Mckenna Single Barrel 10 Years Old, Bottled In Bond. You don't hear a whole lot about this bottling on here but I found one in NH for like $16, so I thought I was a reasonable risk to take a crack at. It is rather good in a workmanlike way, i like that it is 100 proof that is the strongest Heaven Hill whiskey I have tried. It is darker and richer and has a little more of a fuller wooden taste t it than the EWSB's I have tried, but it is definately an HH bottling. Good over a coupla ice cubes, I am glad I bought it.

TomC

Guru

Re: the \"Forgotten\" Single Barrel??

In my younger days (early 70's), Henry McKenna was one of my favorite bourbons. Not single barrel, of course. That being 30 years ago, I can't give any meaningful comments, other than that I really liked it and bought it, often.

I haven't seen any in years, though.

Tim

Guru

Take a look at my first impression of this bourbon, and tell me how your impression compares. (I haven't revisited this one yet. So many bourbons; so little time and liver.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

Hi everyone,
    This Henry Mckenna Single Barrel 10 Years Old, Bottled In Bond,sounds great.But I don't think it was never sold in Japan,can somebody post a picture of this bottle(or Jug)for me.If I can't drink one I will imagine it.

There are three Henry Mckennas you can get in Japan right now,two are from Heaven Hill,one 80p clear bottle,other is in a Jug 80p,it says it comes from Bardstown.The third bottle comes in a same clear bottle as the first but on the bottom it will say Lawrenceburg,80p and is made by the Four Roses Distillery,they are both light but good bourbon,I keep all three around me.

Koji

Guru

Koji, w/o retaking a pic of just the bottle... here is a pic where the bottle is shown in the background, you can see it with a green foil top, and a label on the front saying Henry...

Disciple

Yeah thats sounds about right, noting that barrel presence seems a little more noticable in the HMSB (LOL ) than the other two.

Tomc

Disciple

Bookers

Tonight, booker's! It is good and suprisingly sweet, but overall it gives the impression of bourbon mixed with rocket fuel!

TomC

Advanced Taster

Tonight It is a tall glass of Ezra B Single 15.... after a long long long day of playing the wannabe farmer on my lil' 20 acre place this is something to come home to ... only thing better is ORVW.... But this bottle has been open to long so I finished it off if a second is needed then VW will more than do , ..it's fine stuff ,,,
    Bill G.