Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Tom it is a rare and glorious moment when you and I agree anymore. Tonight I'll have another drink in our honor

Guru

Eagle Rare 101 (aged ten years).

I thought I was ordering ER Single Barrel. My disappointment in not finding what I was hankering for, when I dug into the several-months-old, Sam's shipping box this afternoon, is countered by the fact that I get to try a new bourbon.

The back label contains one allegation of fact that I find interesting, to wit: "In the end, about one barrel in every 37 laid down is judged fine enough to become Eagle Rare."

Does anyone know whether that statement is accurate? If so, then what happens to the other 36 barrels? Do some of them become, let's say, Buffalo Trace? Is the ER single barrel picked from among those one-in-37 barrels?

My first impression of this bourbon is that it shares the cognac-like quality that I get from the ERSB. In addition, on the palate it compares very favorably with the Kentucky Spirit that I had a little earlier this afternoon. (However, the nose is almost non-existent by comparison.) I also note that it is smoother than WT 101, not that I automatically consider that a plus. The finish turns from sweet to bitter to somewhere in between. Fascinating.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking right now buzzless?

As posted earlier on "What you can do with out ..." it's a BIG glass of ORVW 15yr 107 ,,,, but what was a real eye openner was what my wife said about my bourbon supply /stash
    And I quote " I will not say a word about YOUR bourbon I will get you cash , coupons etc , for your drink, just as long as you stay away from MY fabric ...." She is in to quilting and such ,,,, Hmmmm judging from my stock and the stock she has it looks like a shopping run is in ordrer to balance the stock piles ,,,, ? Bourbon War ...?
    Bill G,
    Got alot of shopping and tasting to do now ...

Guru

Ummm, it sounds to me like you are in trouble. Usually, "I will not say a word...", translates to "You are not going to hear the end of this".

Good luck, Tim

Connoisseur

Usually, "I will not say a word...", translates to "You are not going to hear the end of this".
    Either that, or "I'm going to use this as carte blanche to splurge on EVERYTHING else."

Guru

McAfee's Benchmark. Neat. In my J.D. rocks glass.

I don't know why people bash this one. It's cheap. It's drinkable. (I'm not the only reviewer who thinks so.) It tastes like real bourbon to me. It has a nicer finish than OWR... and palate...and nose.

It's on the light, simple side (I defy anyone to taste exotic flavor elements in this one), but for the $10.99 price it's hard to beat in these parts.

Hell, I may replace this bottle before I replace my nearly empty Kentucky Spirit -- and I could do it four times for the same price.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Hell, I may replace this bottle before I replace my nearly empty Kentucky Spirit -- and I could do it four times for the same price.

Shhhh, Jeff may hear you!

Administrator in exile

???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Just polished off my first bottle of Van Winkle 13YOFR Rye. Could well be the smoothest whiskey I have ever come across, but I found the finish to be a little short and bland.
    I think I may try Wild Turkey Rye sometime in the future, but for the moment back to Maker's Mark.
    After a while away from Makers (getting stuck into Stagg, Van Winkle Rye and various Wild Turkey offerings) I can detect a floral, perfume edge to the nose that has escaped me before. Also I can taste lots of white pepper tonight, that again, is a first for me.
    Has anyone else had a while away from a fave and noticed a different slant on things on their return?

Guru

Has anyone else had a while away from a fave and noticed a different slant on things on their return?
    Most definately! As I kept (and still) continue to buy different offerings, my tastes are always changing and becoming more developed. Bottles I used to love, such as Makers Mark, now just don't do much for me. Makers Mark was one of the first 'better' bourbons I bought after drinking JD Black, Beam white etc... Back then it was so smooth and sweet, but since it has taken a place on the back burner to bourbon's I find more complex and unique. Every so often, I must admit, something still makes me go out and buy a small bottle of it for old times sake.