Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Bardstown Road in the Highlands is probably the most eclectic part of Louisville. The section of Frankfort Avenue which is on the East side of Downtown at the Clifton neighborhood , is experiencing some growth and emulates the Highlands. ( As Martha would say " A Good Thing") So I'm not too off topic , a touch of Stagg.

Guru

I W Harper 15 year from the Heritage Collection. I didn't think I would like this bourbon but it's not all that bad. It is fairly smooth and aged nicely with a clean finish. Although I think it would have benefitted being bottled slightly higher than just 80 proof. Still, a rare find and a decent pour!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

WT 101 on the rocks, with just a splash of last night's leftover Russell's Reserve (which I had the presence of mind to cover before retiring for the evening).

I find Wild Turkey puzzling on more than one level. I've yet to do a side-by-side with comparable whiskey from other bottlers where the WT came out on top, and yet I keep coming back to it, and I find it satisfying almost every time.

Their marketing is a curious mixture of inspiration and incompetence. I love their slogan "Not the latest thing -- the genuine thing."

On the other side is the RB Society, which I have lambasted elsewhere, and my recent discovery that their website contains information about The Bourbon Festival -- the one to be held in the year 2001!

Has some corporate marketing type decided to strip-mine the Wild Turkey image rather than build for the future?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I agree with you Dave that WT does have some disappointing aspects. I wish they had someone with some 'authority' that frequented this board to read our comments. After a few email's of a personal matter, the whole Rare Breed Society ( )and those damn labels that I still have NOT received since mailing in their mailer last December ( )I am rather frustrated with a company the size of WT. I do like their line-up but Customer Satisfaction means alot to me and they have really failed in this department.

Connoisseur

Tonight it's a Manhattan made with VWFR Rye 13yo. I was a little torn on whether to splash vermouth into such a fine spirit, but I decided I wanted this one top notch. And yes, it DEFINITELY is!!

Enthusiast

Well, in case anybody cares what I'm doing in my Igloo in the north, I'm actually drinking a fine homebrew beer. Yes beer. But it's really a CHASER. I warmed up the taste buds with an ElijahCraig 12yo then dove into a wee shot of Bookers, neat of coarse. Hmmmm.

Virtuoso

I was staying in the Upper Highlands the last couple weeks at my great uncle's. I would agree that the Bardstown Road area north of 264 is very electic. I visited a few places, but nothing worth writing about.

My Mom grew up right off Bardstown Road, near St. James Church, on Beringer.

Virtuoso

Thanks for your kind words.

Guru

What keeps the "skeeters" at bay in B.C.? Let me know...they always like a sip of my heme!

Advanced Taster

Sitting at the picnic table on the back porch with my wireless lap-top and enjoying the last of a bottle of Rare Breed. In the distance I can see about 30 hot air balloons as they slowly descend towards the large open playing fields of a local college. The last of the days light is nearly gone,a light breeze with seventy degrees....great day.