Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What are you drinking right now?

This is a great whiskey, and stocks are limited, but at the price mentioned, it is a remarkable value. We must not forget the 20 year old version, which Sam's still carries too. I have half a bottle that I had purchased (of all places) in Calgary, Alberta. For those willing to lay out what the retailers are asking, it is a real treat. I know some people feel it is too woody, but truly it is not. It is more smoky (char) than woody. To me, woody means too much tannic acid - the Hirsch/Michter's 20 year old has no such edge, just rich smoke (a bit like JD Single in this regard), very concentrated, luscious taste, and (underneath) that unique Michter's taste which is even more evident in the 16 year old version (because younger, thus the keynote is less "disguised"). This is not quite a bourbon taste to my palate and not quite rye - it is just but no less than Michter's of Pennsylvania, which was a unique sour mash whiskey. The 16 year old is a much better value, but the 20 provides a once in a lifetime experience. Some bars still serve it by the shot, I saw the 20 (and 16) Hirsches not long ago at DBA's in New York.

By the way, the Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a very good whisky, but in that neighborhood of money I'd put mine on the Hirsch 20 year old any day. In Johnnie Walker, I feel the less costly (relatively) Gold Label is much better value than the fabled Blue - and frankly better tasting.

Gary

Administrator in exile

Weller 19yo. I'm really growing fond of this one. Figures that once I start to like it, it goes away. But such luck is typical for me I think I'm getting a bottle of Pappy 20 for my anniversary . I'm looking forward to a comparative tasting of the old wheaters.

Administrator in exile

Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye, 12yo 90 proof. Having my first sips of this one as I write this, and all I can say is, "WOW." I happened upon a local liquor store that I don't often frequent and to my suprise this one lone bottle occupied the shelf. Well of course this was a no-brainer, as it is next to impossible to find. I wish there was more, but I'll take it Rich and smooth flavor with stong apple notes in the nose and lots of vanilla on the palate. I look forward to a comparative tasting with the 13yo very soon. I didn't think any rye could top the 13yo, but maybe...just maybe.

P.S. I also stumbled upon about 5 bottles of Wild Turkey 12yo. When money permits, I plan to make them mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Clogsdon and I started out our visit last Monday with the 12YO VanWinkle Rye. I didn't think to ask him how it compared with the 13. ( What say you, CL?) I have a few 13s Bunkered, But as yet have none open. Somehow I expect the thirteen to be better , but it doesn't have to be. I like the 12 a lot.

Virtuoso

I say the 12 yo rye was excellent. I can't say how it compares to the 13 yo, as I wasn't trying to think about that when I tasted your 12 yo. I wanted just to sip and enjoy.

In fact, since circumstances are keeping me in L'ville for many more days, I think I will have to make some drop in visits to various stores to try to locate some 12 yo rye.

Administrator in exile

Let me know if you find any and where. This stuff is definately worth an hours drive

Virtuoso

Hell no. I am going to buy it all.

Oh, alright. If they have extra when I am done, I'll let you know. But for a finder's fee.

Advanced Taster

this evening I went to a place none locally as "Fox and Hound"...30 beers on draft with another 30 or so in bottles....much better than average bourbon selection, not great mind you but better than average...had several Bakers ...in my mind the second to Bookers and the clear superior to Basil Haydens and Knob Creek... I wish you all well ........."may every bar have Buffalo Trace"

Disciple

Is this in Ohio??

and where may I ask is it then??\

TomC

Virtuoso

It's amazing how differently I approach the bourbon given this week's events with my Dad. Having a small bourbon is a comfort, not as in a crutch or an escape mechanism, but as a simple, quiet enjoyment of one of the simple things in life when so many discomforting and chaotic things are happening around me. At the same time, I could care less whether I ever had bourbon again as my mind is on more important matters with my Dad. It's a contradictory set of feelings.

Anyhow, I had an interesting selection of bourbons last night. After spending a long day with my Dad, I came back to my great uncle's house where I am staying this week. I had a small Wathens before dinner. Damn, it was good.

I then went out to eat dinner with my great uncle. I started with a Woodford Reserve. After having the Wathens, the WR didn't taste very good. It was too thin and bland. (I know many here never cared for WF, but at times, in the past at least, I have enjoyed it when I wanted a simple bourbon.)

So, for the next drink at dinner, I had Old Forrester 86. It blew away it's big brother, WR. It was delectable and nothing like the seemingly off bottles of OF 100 I have had at home in NC recently. Maybe I will try some OF 86 when I get home. The good news is that NC carries that proof in a 1.75L bottle.