Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What are you drinking right now?

I recently finished my first bottle of rebel yell and I was very pleased. The smell was very intriguing. I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass. My wife thought I was a nut.

Just started on my first Old Overholt. Very nice over ice.

I have always been a loyal Tennessee whiskey drinker but am now doing research in Ky.

Ray

Disciple

OGD 114

Today I had a taste in the third of the three bottlings I picked up while on vacation, OGD 114. It is definately a good bit drier and spicier than most of the other bourbons I have, but I dont get any of the rockiness in the finish (maybe a little on the tongue) that some people do. I was moving away from having my bourbon on the rocks, but this one (as well as the Henry McKenna SB & Booker's I got on my trip) seems well suited to it. I bet it wwould make a great manhattan, I might just have to try it .

TomC

Guru

Wild Turkey Rye from my Wild Turkey shot glass, neat.

It lacks the smoothness and subtlety of the best in class (do I need to ID it?), but it is quite drinkable neat, perhaps more so than WT 101. (To my taste, I can't say the same about Jim Beam rye or Old Overholt.) It also has enough pungence to make its presence known when mixed with ginger beer.

Someday as an experiment, only one time, I promise, I will try VWFR rye with ginger. My guess is that the ginger would overpower the rye.

If it turns out that way, would that make Wild Turkey rye my all-around favorite? Probably not, because I drink rye neat about five-to-one over mixed.

BTW, I managed to break the cork of the WT rye bottle. I have just a little nubbin of cork that barely closes the opening without falling through. That's never happened to me before.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Virtuoso

EC 12 yo. I was formerly in the camp that that did not care for this bourbon. But, when I was in B'town in early May, I had a glass in the presence of our own Bobby C and Bettye Jo. How could I not order a HH product after Bettye Jo had given my family the red carpet treatment? Bobby provided the same royal treatment, but he doesn't work at HH. That drink that day tasted mighty fine, the first time I had liked EC 12 yo.

Today, I bought a bottle of EC 12 yo ($14.15 before tax). I still like it. I've been looking for a new daily pour since Old Forrester 100 fell off my short list. I think I have found it.

Call me converted. I now really like the EC 12 yo flavor. It no longer seems medicinal. It seems rich and complex.

There is one difference, though. Being summer time, I have changed over to "one cube only" in the snifter glass. Maybe this had something to do with it. I am at my parents' house in WV tonight, so I only have one snifter. When I get home to NC, I may need to do a side to side of EC neat and EC with a cube.

Administrator in exile

I'm also enjoying a glass od EC12. Unlike you I have enjoyed this one from the beginning, so I'm glad you have come around

I think you'll agree with me that with EC12 and Weller 12, you're covered for most of your daily needs

Disciple

Tonight Blantons in honor of Paradox's promotion!!

TomC

Guru

I started the night with a pour of Stagg, but after that it was Blanton's all the way as well.

Enthusiast

Finally managed to get my hands on some George T. Stagg!!
    Happy 4th July chaps.

Administrator in exile

Hell, just finding some is cause for celebration! Enjoy

Administrator in exile

Tonight Blantons in honor of Paradox's promotion!!
    Mark's promotion? Lord, hide your stash and lock up your women!