Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Blanton's (barrel no.63, warehouse H, Rick No. 6) 132.7 proof, unchillfiltered. I picked this up today at a gun show because I thought (correcty) it would be a great item to open for Independence Day. The nose is incredibly complex and evolves much more than the standard Blanton's. The palate is a bit hot compared to Stagg, but not so much as Booker's. I intend to follow this with some Stagg.

Connoisseur

Re: Definitely not the People\'s Republic of Virginia!

I picked this up today at a gun show...
    I definitely picked the wrong state to live in!
    In Nevada you can buy rare bourbons at a GUN SHOW!?!?

Enthusiast

Having a break from drinking for now. I'm being a good boy at the moment and quaffing my "vitamin" drink. Some of you may have heard of it - George Dickle.
    Gives me a wet nose and shiny coat to boot. Good grief I feel great!

Administrator in exile

Enthusiast

Re: Definitely not the People\'s Republic of Virginia!

I was wondering if anyone would question that... I actually had to order this bourbon from Europe. The retailer's courier would not ship to Nevada because I could not produce the "required" liquor license or import permit. I talked with the Nevada Department of taxation who directed me to the code section which clearly exempted my personal consumption from these requirements. I emailed the retailer the link to the appropriate Nevada Revised Statutes, the email address of the contact person and her phone number. The still said they "couldn't" do it. I had them send the shipment to a friend of mine in Southern California a couple weeks ago. He called me this week to say a friend of his would be doing a booth at a gun show here in Las Vegas this weekend and could bring the shipment. So I went to his booth as he was setting up, and "picked up" my shipment. Long story, but I figure for Blanton's at cask strength (on Independence Day) it was worth it!

Guru

Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye, 12 years old.

This came in my Binny's order about a month ago. I had forgotten about it until it came to hand as I was rooting around in the box of styrofoam (TM) to see what was left of that shipment.

Is this really younger than the VWFR 13 year-old rye? It tastes much more barrel-like than the 13, IIRC. I'm not sure which I like better, and I guess it doesn't really matter, since the supply of the 12 is supposedly now exhausted. (Didn't someone here say that recently?)

In any case, chalk up another one (excellent whiskey, that is) for Julian.

Yours truly,
    Dave "Had four drinks; gotta stop now" Morefield

Guru

Yes Dave, as far as I know the 12 year is all gone and not being bottled anymore. I think I'll have to do a side by side one of these weekends for both these fine rye's.

While I'm here, a hefty pour of Wild Turkey 12 year. The perfect pour to finish off the perfect weekend!

Enthusiast

"Good lord what are you drinking? It looks like a glass of treacle!" This is how I was greeted tonight, by the girl I live with.

"It's a glass of Stagg my dear."

"Oh so after waiting so long to get hold of it, you are straight into it aren't you!" she said/shouted.
    Fair enough, because she did find my credit card reciept, so there is no bluffing her with the price. (What I paid for Stagg in England would make you guys shudder, trust me!)

"Smells like rum!" she said before sloping off to bed.

What so I'm the bad guy? After visiting this site and listening to those that know, I have to agree that the hype is true. STAGG RULES!! (Remember I am someone who does not run with the crowd. I like Makers, and have little time for Knob Kreek, EWSB, Elijah Craig, and other forum faves.)

Because I live I England I am miles/months behind you guys, however, now I have tasted Stagg I know what you were all on about.
    It does live up to the hype but I can't say why - other than it is strong, CRISP, clean, and even better than Rock Hill Farms and Bookers.
    It ain't for pussies though!

Have fun guys - I know I am.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

It ain't for pussies though!

Indeed!

Disciple

The perfect pour

Tonight i meandered through every luxuriant drop of my Glass of Eagle Rare 17 year. . .

TomC