Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Bottling Miniatures

Several months ago there was a thread in alt.drinks.sc****-whisky (cough!) in which somebody who was supposedly 'in-the-know' claimed that distilleries used a lower quality product in their miniatures. Needless to say, this was argued and disbelieved, but this person was adamant.

Has anybody heard of this practice with American whiskeys? I would think a distillery would want to put some of their BEST product in the minis to try to win people over!?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Bottling Miniatures

Out of all the miniatures of Bourbon that I have tried , I have yet to find one that caused me any concern that it was of less quality than the larger version of the same label. My $0.02

Administrator in exile

I've had a couple of minatures that tasted like the plastic bottles in which they were contained . I doubt this was a true reflection on the bourbon, only on the cheap plastic-leaching bottles

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Urban myth. It's the same product in the miniatures. In fact, many of the companies go to great expense to duplicate the packaging of the full size product because the minis are so important for sampling. There would be no benefit to using a lower quality product in the minis.

Virtuoso

On a airplane, has anyone ever seen anything besides JB White and JD Black? (I did see JB Black - once - and the passenger that got it was clueless as to what it was. I told them that it was fine and that many considered it better than JD Black.)

Occasionally, I will see WT or MM in a liquor store. And it's only been in Ky where I've only seen anything else than these four I mentioned above.

Based on this unscientific survey, it seems that only the best selling bourbons make it to miniatures, outside of KY. Therefore, I don't see how distilleries would use them to get folks to sample different products. It seems that they are just supplying their best selling product.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Delta now serves Makers Mark.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Minis aren't just on airplanes. Liquor stores in some states sell them. I know all of the Jim Beam Small Batchers have minis, as does Woodford Reserve. Maybe you have to fly in First Class to get the good stuff.

Advanced Taster

Some of the bottle shops here in MA , have a growing selection of mini buorbons . Bookers , and now I have just forgotten the other one I got , that and the more common brands that I did not give a second look at ................ .........
    Bill g,
    Once again I failed my mind .......

Guru

CL,

I now have a mini of Blanton's, which I ordered from either Sam's or Binny's. (A mind is a terrible thing to lose.)

Furthermore, one of the keys to my reintroduction to bourbon a while back was a wood-enclosed package of minis of the Jim Beam Small Batch collection.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

CL,

I now have a mini of Blanton's, which I ordered from either Sam's or Binny's. (A mind is a terrible thing to lose.)

Furthermore, one of the keys to my reintroduction to bourbon a while back was a wood-enclosed package of minis of the Jim Beam Small Batch collection.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Mind is not lost , just a bit miss-used and abused .....