Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bottling Miniatures

There's also a wood packed version of the "Small Batch Botique Bourbon Collection" of Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, Pure KY XO and KY Vintage though I only saw that in KY... Some mini's that were available now are not like Rock Hill Farms... I really like the idea of companies offering mini's of their products and feel more need to do so.

Connoisseur

Interestingly enough, as deficient as Virginia's selection is, we have plenty of minis available. They're a great way to do samplings. There have been several I'm glad I wasn't stuck with 750ml!

Guru

I agree, the ABC stores I visit in VA do have a rather nice selection of mini's... I always pick up several of the Virginia Gentlemen 'The Fox' 90 proof mini's for only $1.00! It comes in an exact duplicate bottle of the 750ml, is glass, complete with gold wax. I like to leave a few in my trunk as 'emergency bottles' while on the road.

Guru

Dear Cool-But-Not-Diluted ,

I hear you about those orphan 750s. However, on the flip side I've found more than one bourbon that grew on me over time. For example, if my first drink of Elijah Craig 12 year-old had been a mini, I might never have tried it again. As it is, I am now on my second or third bottle (a 1.75 L., at that) since I first encountered it last year.

Minis are no substitute for a generous friend with a well-stocked bar.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Virtuoso

On USAirways three years ago, first class didn't get you anything different. I did one hundred segments one year which earned me automatic free upgrades to first class for the next year. JB White and JD Black was all they ever had.

Based on what the other folks here are saying, though, it appears that alot of states have a good choice of minis. NC isn't one of them, though.

Guru

With the exception of some specialty stores in the city, NY has a pretty sad stocked inventory of bourbon in general, both 750 and 50 ml's... Exceptions naturally are beam white, wild turkey 80 and 101, etc...

Guru

Mark,

I could almost work up some self-pity over that. How in the world do they sell them at that price?

That's equivalent to $15 for 750 ml., right? Plus you have the convenience that you spoke of. I pay $21 plus shipping (from Sam's) or $22 plus 8-going-on-10 % CA sales tax for a 750 ml. bottle.

It's almost enough to make me do a cross-country Junior Johnson run in my stock Geo. (Come to think of it, I'd probably steal my wife's Saturn Vue, which has ten times the cargo capacity. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I never could figure it out either Dave. They sell the 750ml bottle at the same ABC store for $17.50. I always asked myself why they would do that, I just figured it's their way of 'enticing' people to try 'The Fox'. I had to laugh when my father who was with me seriously said, "Buy the mini's and empty them all into the empty you have at home!"

Watch, with my luck when I go down again, they will have raised the price!

Connoisseur

Dear Cool-But-Not-Diluted ,

I hear you about those orphan 750s. However, on the flip side I've found more than one bourbon that grew on me over time.
    Actually, I have yet to find a totally undrinkable bourbon, but a couple higher-end bottles have been relegated to ginger ale. However, there's a couple bourbon wannabe's from a neighboring state which might stay orphans for awhile!

Enthusiast

Given the poor availability of various bourbons here in NY, I'm glad there's Sam's and others we can learn about here on the 'Net. I'm also eager to stock up during the visit to KY in September!

Bob