Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bottling Miniatures

Haha, if you stock up like me and Chris did during last years festival, you'll have no more suspension travel left on your rear shocks, and that's not an exageration!

Guru

Hell, that's only $15 per 750 ml! At that price, you could just buy the minis and never have to worry about how big your pour is.

Tim

Advanced Taster

knob Creek !
    Duh , How could I forget ....
    I found it very good , but still not good enough to replace ORVW 10yr 107 as my daily pour .....
    Bill G.

Enthusiast

Hey Mark,

What was the strategy you guys used last year? Did you buy lots of different bottlings, or did you buy quantity of a few things?

Bob

Guru

We tried to buy one of everything that we knew we had no chance getting up here... Then after all the gazeebo sessions and tastings if there was something that we really found to be superb, we just got a 'little' more of it. So honestly, it was a little of both. Some of what we also got was not for immediate consumption like for example the yearly derby bottling from Woodford Reserve. But those purchases took up only a small amount of trunk space.

Enthusiast

Mark,

Could you clarify, or quantify, what you mean exactly by a "little" more?

Bob

Guru

I'd have to guess between me and Chris we had 50-60 different bottles and 5 cases of Buffalo Trace BBQ Sauce. Not to mention all the T-shirts I bought from just about every distillery! Oh, what a fun time you will have Bob!

Enthusiast

I can't wait!!!!!! 50 to 60 bottles! That IS a lot!

Bob

Advanced Taster

Here in the great control state of Pennsylvania, used to be the only mini of bourbon you could find was Jim Beam. Recently, however, my favorite store began carrying a lot of higher-end minis, including bourbons, XO cognacs, liqueurs and single malts. One can now "sample" Blanton's, Knob Creek, Makers Mark, Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve and several others. A while back, they were offering the Rare Breed for 99 cents. Now,THAT is a bargain! Should have stocked up when I had the chance.

SpeedyJohn

BTW, they're also supposed to get minis of Louis XIII. Yours for only $199.99!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I see in the new issue of Newsweek that South Carolina still requires all drinks served in bars and restaurants to originate in mini bottles, so any company that wants to sell its products on-premise in South Carolina has to make them available in minis. (The article was because the legislature is considering scrapping this requirement, which bars and restaurants, obviously, hate.) Utah used to have this requirement as well, but I believe it was scrapped a few years ago, perhaps in advance of the Olympics.

Do any other states still require minis in on-premise?