Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a difference between EW and EW 1783?

I just bought a bottle of EW 1783 is it the same as the EW black label? It was .90 more I was wondering if it was just a different bottle but the same contents.

Thanks

Connoisseur

Re: Is there a difference between EW and EW 1783?

In the past the 1783 was a 10-year while the black was 7-year. I don't know what the ages are today. I guessed the 1783 is a little older. I love the older age-dated stuff and buy it whenever I can.

Connoisseur

Yup, the EW line and EC line are the same juice, just different ages.

EWB between 4 and 7 or so years
    EW 1783 is a bit older
    EWSB is about 10 years - I think this one killed off the EW 1783 10 year juice
    EC12 is, well, 12 years
    EC18 is, as above, 18 years.

No different mash bills according to the tour guides at HH. My taste buds say the same thing.

Thanks guys. Call me crazy but I think how back in the day Roy Jones Jr. was pound for pound the best boxer in the world undisputed, I think EWB is $ for $ the best bourbon out there. For $10 I think it is incredible. Is it as good as most $20+ bottles? No, but I drink a lot. A whole lot. So sometimes in between more expensive bottle I fall back on the EWB. I'd have an IV drip with that stuff in it if I could figure out the logistics.

Thanks

Disciple

Craig Beam confirmed that all of the HH products come out of the same mashbill (and that there are no flavor profiles for the various cats and dogs labels.)

With that said, I found the EW 1783 to be a very different animal than EWSB at the same age. Much more of a corn-oil aroma and very little effect of the wood. It tasted to me like they pulled it from lower floors of the warehouses (much like JD green label.)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I just had some EW 1783 over the weekend. It definitely is older than black label. Very candy-like with no rough edges. If I didn't know better, I'd think it's a wheater. My brother lives in North Carolina. It's readily available there and has become his go-to, and he is a loyal EW black label drinker.

We were also drinking some Knob Creek at the same time and they are very similar.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I remember the 1783 of several years ago having a very interesting vegetal tinge to it. The recent bottles don't have that from what I detect, and indeed, seem to fit with current HH products. I think Jeff Yeast used to say the old stuff tasted of asparagus!! Not for everyone, obviously. But, I kinda liked it...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

The asparagus reviews are what kept me from trying a bottle. Sounds like I need to pick up a newer one and give it a go.

Chuck, with the age, does it taste less rough than EWB but not as oakey as EC 12 or EC 18?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    The asparagus reviews are what kept me from trying a bottle. Sounds like I need to pick up a newer one and give it a go.

Chuck, with the age, does it taste less rough than EWB but not as oakey as EC 12 or EC 18?
    Why would you not want asparagus in your whiskey?

I never got the asparagus part, but there was something "vegetal" about it. Typical HH from that period tended to have more eucalyptus and minty notes than HH of today. The 1783 seemed outside of that norm for some reason.
    I've had several bottles of the current version, and enjoy it as well, however.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by Holderman View Post
    ...I think EWB is $ for $ the best bourbon out there...
    Stepping into other price points, other contenders for $ for $ competition are EWSB, EC12 jug, and EC18. Yea, EC18 costs more than EWB; but when ya drink EC18 side by side with $100 bottles and prefer the EC18, the value factor goes up. These guys definitely deliver good products for a good price no matter which bottle ya chose.