Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who's tried Dad's Hat? What did you think?

I recently acquired 2 bottles of Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye.....and I'm pretty impressed. For a product with VERY little aging, it's flavor profile is pretty developed. It has that malted rye mouthfeel similar to Old Potrero, but don't let that dissuade you, it's got a lot to like about it.

http://dadshatrye.com/

It does not hold up well in cocktails, as I discovered when mixed with good quality ginger beer, it tasted a bit thin....but on it's own, neat or with 1 cube, it's pretty solid.

Not a bad value for $45.

Anyone else give this one a try yet?

Connoisseur

Re: Who's tried Dad's Hat? What did you think?

Yes. I am actually friends with Hermann and John. You would be amazed at the research that went into crafting Dad's Hat. Both men are well-versed in the industry and are experts at what they are doing. At only about 9 months in a small barrel, I am amazed at what they've done. I have a feeling in a few years they will have a fully aged rye that will blow everyone else out of the water. It's a great deal in craft rye! I always recommend it to my friends.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Oh, you are? What's their plan for Dad's Hat, do they want to get it to a mature, 6-8 year product down the line? Honestly, I really like how they thought about details, especially as a dude who rocks a hat everyday, I totally get the emotional bond between product and "Dad" in this release. I've since bought another bottle of it, think I'll work on it during MNF tonight a bit again.....

The only thing I wish for their product is more time, which only comes with time, as I think once it has a couple years of age on it, it IS going to be dynamite stuff.

Guru

Is this a companion product to Old Overcoat?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Josh will be here all week, ladies and gentlemen! Two shows nightly! Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitresses, folks!

Connoisseur

I think the eventual goal is to push into the 6-8 range- The reason I say this is that they are trying to reenact a proper Monongahela Rye and most of them were aged into that amount of years. Since they just started about a year or so ago releasing some product and only this summer started the release of aged product, I think we can all look forward to further aged products in the future. They currently are in the midst of their first single barrel releases. They are available at their Bristol distillery.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Not a bad value for $45.
    This did look promising, but here in California, it's got a $100 price tag. OUCH!
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Josh will be here all week, ladies and gentlemen! Two shows nightly! Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitresses, folks!
    Thank you for giving me the attention I so desperately crave.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    This did look promising, but here in California, it's got a $100 price tag. OUCH!
    Woah, what part of Cali are you in, sir!?!?! I live in LA, and I can get it for $55/bottle at Vendome and $50 at K&L. I mean....no matter where in Cali you are, you could buy it online at K&L and get it shipped for less than $100!!!!!

Check it out, man, it's worth the dough.

Guru

I took a couple bottles of the white dog to Bardstown for John Lipman. Tasted it down there. Not my cup of tea.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"