Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Willet family Rye 4yrs

Hi all just looking for any reviews on this rye not heard much about this rye, how does it compare to say THH ? Or a sazerac 18yrs as the bottle is similar price wise. Thanks

Virtuoso

Re: Willet family Rye 4yrs

Might want to try doing a site search Robbie. Pretty sure it has been discussed at length a couple of times.

Taster

Did a search but unable to find anything on the 4yrs, and how it compares to the other high end ryes

Connoisseur

I wouldn't compare it to high end ryes as it is not a high end rye. I have enjoyed the couple I have had and the ~$30 I paid were fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disciple

There is discussion of the 4 year in these threads a quick search shows. Many other mentions in non specific threads too. Chewing gum mint and pickle juice are all you really need to know-not a fan .

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15480-Willett-Straight-Rye-Whiskey

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...5-year-version!
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

I like to have a bottle around for cocktails, the higher proof makes a nice Sazerac and Manhattan in my opinion. I'll sip it occasionally, but it's not Handy or Saz18, nor do I think it was meant to be.

Advanced Taster

Willet family Rye 4yrs

This is a single barrel offering, so there is some variance. Having said that, the 4 barrels that I've tried at 3,4, and 5 years have all been excellent. I much prefer it over RittBIB or even WT101 (which is excellent but practically unavailable). It's a spicy rye with lots of fruitů a bit of menthol on some. I've never had the pickle juice variety, but I've read about it here. At $30, I consider it a great buy and worth the risk. It runs about $38 here and easily my favorite sub-$70 rye along with High West Rendezvous when I want an aged flavor.
    Last edited by bearmark; 04-15-2014 at 06:35.

Guru

I think it was 'meant' to be positioned as something higher than it is. If the 110 is actually barrel proof though that is interesting.
    Last edited by squire; 04-15-2014 at 06:37.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

It's basically a barrel proof Bulleit Rye. It's a high-rye MGPI rye, so comparing it to Knob Creek Rye or Handy is kinda apples and oranges. I like pickle juice and mint, so I usually enjoy it.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-15-2014 at 08:42.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Novice

I do enjoy it as one of the few barrel strength ryes available for less than an extortion level price (as the 10 bottles in my bunker attest), some people don't dig the flavor profile but I do. It makes great cocktails also. It dried up rather quickly at my usual stores but I can still get it when I travel to SF for $35-$38.

It is definitely no THH or Saz 18.