Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 1/12: Mellow Corn BIB

Is Georgia Moon actually any good or is it just a novelty?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HHBOURBONMAN View Post
    Larry with HH here. FYI, just thought I'd let all the MC fans and astute BIB label readers know that production has been moved back to HH's Bernheim Distillery, so look for DSP KY 1 to replace 354 on the label in a few years. And thanks for the nice comments, it is still a bit of a hidden gem!
    First off, I'd like to say I am a Mellow Corn fan. Probably one of my top 5 favorites. There is something wonderful about it that I just love to sip on. Maybe I'll have some tonight.........

Lastly, this is a question for you Larry- On another thread I believe it was mentioned that there was potential for the Mellow Corn line to expand to several new markets. Has any of that been discussed or decided? I want to officially put in a vote for either Maryland or Pennsylvania distribution- even of PA only get it as an SLO through Majestic. I've scored a few bottles and given samples to friends and all of them would be happy to have it available. Keep us posted on any new markets Mellow Corn enters!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Is Georgia Moon actually any good or is it just a novelty?
    It is good, if you like old fashioned good white, corn whiskey. Even though we make a lot of corn and I like our corn, and it tastes good, I still like to get a jar of GM from time to time. And in KY, I always get some of the 100 proof.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Picked up a couple of bottles of Dixie Dew while in Alabama this week. Looking forward to comparing it with the Mellow Corn. They do look pretty similar in color.
    Unfortunately, I was going by memory when I posted this, as I had not returned home yet to do a comparison. The color is in fact, night and day different. The Dixie Dew (at a year younger) is significantly darker. Significantly. In comparing the two, I prefer the DD. A perfect example of "Less is More". Less oily. Less Viscous (in a good way). Less sweet. But, more edgy (in a good way). This is not to take anything away for MC, as I still enjoy it as a nice change of pace from my regular Bourbon & Rye rotation.

At the GBS meeting last night we were discussing the color disparity. It was offered that the DD may have caramel coloring? Could this be possible? Do the regs allow corn whiskey to have color added?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

It would have to be stated as having color added. I think. I always have said it was older whiskey. it is much darker and tastes different.

Novice

No color added, it is straight corn whiskey so that is not allowed. DD is younger than MC, but remember that all our corn whiskeys age in used Bourbon barrels, so there will be wide variations in color due to what this "second fill" barrel will impart.

Ethangsmith, we are expanding distribution on Mellow Corn, message received on this end. (Though please understand that the control states can be tricky!).

Connoisseur

I can imagine control states would be fun. I'd just like to be able to obtain bottles locally- whether in Maryland or PA. Thanks for the reply!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    It is good, if you like old fashioned good white, corn whiskey. Even though we make a lot of corn and I like our corn, and it tastes good, I still like to get a jar of GM from time to time. And in KY, I always get some of the 100 proof.
    Well, I don't know that I do like it cause I can't say that I've ever had it. But at the price there's no harm in trying.

Next time I'm in Chicago (or NY for that matter) I'll have to grab a bottle of yours.

Connoisseur

Two questions:

1. Does Barton still make a corn whiskey?
    2. How does Georgia Moon compare to Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon?

Connoisseur

Gm, is corn whiskey and tastes like it. Junior Johnson's from what I can tell is gns.