Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Four Roses Small Batch vs Single Barrel

I'm referring to the standard issue for both of these. What is the current wisdom on these? Does one win out over the other or do they stand alone on their own merits? I've seen a few posts around lately suggesting that they like the SmB a little better than the 1B, where as older posts seemed to trend the opposite direction.

For the record, I haven't had either. I intend to rectify that soon.

Virtuoso

Re: Four Roses Small Batch vs Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I'm referring to the standard issue for both of these. What is the current wisdom on these? Does one win out over the other or do they stand alone on their own merits? I've seen a few posts around lately suggesting that they like the SmB a little better than the 1B, where as older posts seemed to trend the opposite direction.

For the record, I haven't had either. I intend to rectify that soon.
    I feel that the SmB lacks a sweetness that would balance out its more citrus-rindy flavors. If I recall, the finish left me unsatisfied. I vatted my last bottle with a Binny's 1B OBSF, and enjoyed it much more that way.

I really like the standard 1B. It's more balanced, if perhaps less complex than the SmB. It has a cool, refreshing note that isn't quite minty but is very pleasing to me, and it has the perfect amount of weighty sweetness for my palate.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I vatted my last bottle with a Binny's 1B OBSF
    How was the Binny's OBSF on its own? I have a TPS OBSK that I love, but I want something with even more rye/mint. I've read that the OBSF recipe can be pretty minty.

Virtuoso

Of the Binny's 1B I've had (OBSQ, OBSF, OBSK, OESQ), I think the OBSF is my least favorite. It was in the 126pr range, and a bit hot with a thinner finish. I don't recall it being particularly minty. I'm curious as to how their OBSV compares to the standard 1B, but I have yet to taste Binny's OBSV.

My favorite so far is the OBSQ. Not sure about the mint, but it has an exotic, medicinal astringency balanced with a delicious caramel sweetness that blew me away.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

I'm a whore for the 1B, definitely a staple in my glass. I like the SmB as well but it lacks the intensity that I love in 1B

Connoisseur

I'm on the 1B side too. Love that stuff!

Small Batch to me is just like Bulleit, so pick the cheaper. I like it too, just not as much.

Taster

Single Barrel lover here. Small batch is ok, but I never buy it given the other choices at that price point.

STLb

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I prefer 1B, but they're supposed to be different. 1B is like a perfect nectar while SmB is more challenging, hence more complex. Definitely more spice and astringency in the SmB.

Virtuoso

Thanks, everyone. I was leaning toward the 1B and I think that it sounds like just the ticket this weekend. SmB sounds pretty interesting, too. Maybe next time.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    1B is like a perfect nectar while SmB is more challenging, hence more complex. Definitely more spice and astringency in the SmB.
    Very good points of comparison.

If you really want to branch out, try the LE SmB's or the SB's..or try the various private barrels of all 10 recipes, most times, just a computer click away.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...