Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Four Roses Small Batch vs Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    or try the various private barrels of all 10 recipes, most times, just a computer click away.
    +1

I picked up a 1B at the gift shop a couple months ago and thought it was just so-so. Based on recommendations here, I got an OESO from Binny's last week and was very impressed. It's much better than the regular 1B.

Enthusiast

i don't drink it often, but i think the small batch is one that falls into that dangerously drinkable territory. it's one that i find to be very easy drinking, but at the same time still has a lot going on in it... i think some people might even argue there is too much going on with all those different recipes

i love the sb. that's my go to off the shelf pour. a good barrel of the sb is really terrific bourbon, and i've found that there are more good ones then there are so-so ones.

cask strength sb's are fun too... obsk, obsv, oeso are three of my favorites, but i've found it's hard to go wrong with any obsk selection.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I prefer 1B, but they're supposed to be different. 1B is like a perfect nectar while SmB is more challenging, hence more complex. Definitely more spice and astringency in the SmB.
    What he said. I also actually like FR Yellow better than SmB.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

FRSB is one of my favorites. I like the Small Batch, but I have to give the nod to the 1B if I have to pick between the two.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    What he said. I also actually like FR Yellow better than SmB.
    It must just be me.... I just can't drink the Yellow Label. I've tried to like it on several ocassions... not happening. I find it to be so boring...... bland and so...... nothing, compared to 1B and SmB. I finally gave the rest of it to my brother to mix with Coke.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I was leaning toward the 1B and I think that it sounds like just the ticket this weekend. SmB sounds pretty interesting, too. Maybe next time.
    Don't know if you bought your 1B yet, but they have it on sale for $34.99 on my side of the city. PM me if you want to know where.

Advanced Taster

Im more of a SmB person. I drink both, and like both. The SB I think is better with a little water, I also enjoy unfiltered and uncut, but I need to cut them to where I think they are best. One thing about the SmB that really impresses me is that I think it is the best bourbon I have had out of the bottle. I think Jim found the swet spot with the proof of the SmB. If I was in a desert and had no water, I would drink 4R SmB.

Aside: I have been pondering ordering TPS 1Bs, what is the difference between their bottle and LE's. Is it the age of the LE? Are there ages on TPS?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    It must just be me.... I just can't drink the Yellow Label. I've tried to like it on several ocassions... not happening. I find it to be so boring...... bland and so...... nothing, compared to 1B and SmB. I finally gave the rest of it to my brother to mix with Coke.
    Not just you...and I've tried too...though I've made peace when it is joined by sweet vermouth and bitters.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

1B is by far the winner in my book. i haven't picked one up in some time, but the last one that i had, Chuck nailed it with the nectar description. It was a really good bottle.

And a great deal at $34

There just have been too many others that have got in the way of it recently. Its one that I do need to revisit.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bgageus View Post

Aside: I have been pondering ordering TPS 1Bs, what is the difference between their bottle and LE's. Is it the age of the LE? Are there ages on TPS?
    The LE's, both SB and SmB, seem to come from older Four Roses stock. Of the ones I've enjoyed, the stated ages used ranged from 10 to 19 years old.

The private SB's I have had ( TPS, Kahn's, Binny's ), have all been 8-10 yrs old, cask strength, non chill filtered
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...