Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barton rye?

Virtuoso

Barton rye?

In another thread I learned that Barton is the source of (or one of the sources of) High West's Rendezvous Rye, as well as the sole source for HW's 16yr Rye. Is HW's 21-year also from Barton? I understand Barton produces Fleischman's Rye (or used to?) and that it's a very tasty young rye.

I really like the flavor profile of VOB BiB and I'm a fan of the HW line from Rendezvous on up (didn't particularly care for Double Rye!). Is Barton still making any rye at all? Are there any other products out there that have Barton rye juice in them (other than the bottom shelf bourbons and blended whiskeys)?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Re: Barton rye?

High West 21 is a Barton rye but a lower rye mashbill than the 16 (the 21 is 53% rye, 37% corn, 10% barley).

I assume Barton is still making Fleischman's, but I don't know for sure. I think it has always been reserved for Wisconsin for some reason.

It will be interesting to see what BT does with the Barton distillery. I'd love to see more rye as well as an expanded market for VOB, but so far, they seem to be concentrating mostly on 1792.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I know HW got some of their whiskey through circuitous routes. I suspect someone had obtained the whiskey, in barrels, and didn't use all of it which is why it got so old. I find it hard to believe Barton itself had 21-year-old rye lying around, unless it was some 'lost' barrels, which does happen.

I haven't heard anything one way or another about Sazerac's intentions vis a vis rye-making at Barton, but I don't see why they would discontinue it with rye sales on the upswing.

Virtuoso

I know High West got a bunch of their older ryes from Pernod Ricard.

One of the interesting things it reveals, that I hadn't known is that Barton apparently has two straight rye mashbills. For a company that deosn't make much rye, that's pretty interesting. Maybe Fleishmann's is a vatting of the two bills. Of course it's also possible that they only use one, but they changed the mashbill at some point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know that Barton necessarily "has two rye mash bills." What they have is a modern and flexible distillery capable of readily making different recipes if they have a customer that wants something custom. Under Sazerac, they're not in that business anymore, but they used to be pretty active in the custom distilling business.

On the other hand, they may have a whole bunch of different recipes, as most of the companies do.

Virtuoso

Great info guys. I just recently learned (learned is a strong word, as it only takes looking at the label...) that the 21yr was aged in used cooperage, which is a very odd thing to hear about an American-made rye whiskey. The label on the 16yr states that it was rescued from barrels destined for use in Canadian blends, so that clearly is [one of] the purposes Barton fulfilled as a rye distiller.

Chuck, when you say that most of the companies have a whole bunch of different recipes, are you you saying that most companies that do a lot of 'bulk' whiskey distilling typically have many recipes that they can offer to make for their client, or are you saying that in general most companies 'own' recipes for multiple mashes?

Is contract distilling different from bulk distilling? Like with B-F making Ritt for HH, I assume they are making the juice to HH's specifications rather than offering to distill whiskey from 2 or 3 different mashbills that they specialize in. LDI, on the other hand, seems to just make 95% rye, and whoever wants it can buy it. LDI makes what they make, and is not in the business of catering to a client's requested recipe...?

Also, anyone know if the 16-year 53% rye component of Double Rye is Barton? It's interesting, because that's the mashbill for HW's 21yr rye...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Also, anyone know if the 16-year 53% rye component of Double Rye is Barton? It's interesting, because that's the mashbill for HW's 21yr rye...
    Yes, it is Barton.

Disciple

FWIW, Fleischmann's Rye(From Barton) is still on shelves in Northern Wisconsin for about $18.99 a handle. I believe the liters were discontinued.

And yes, it is quite tasty for a young 80 proofer.

Advanced Taster

I'd love to try this stuff. I'm hoping a friend who travels back to Wisconsin every now and then can pick me up a handle next time he goes up. If anyone is headed through Cincy and wants to bring me a handle, I'd gladly share some other ryes and bourbons.

Guru

Q regarding bulk whiskey barrel sales....is there an exchange of some sort?
    Is it all private industry selling based in inquiries between bottlerc/ distiller etc?

For example, this online search shows:
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/whisky-in-bulk.html

Scotch Whisky In Bulk
    Scotch Whisky, Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Rum, Cognac, French Brandy, Pastis, in Bulk or bottled. Please,...
    Packaging: Bulk

Bulk Blended Whisky
    FOB Price: EUR 4.2-4.4 / Liter
    Bulk 5 year old Blended Whisky with perfect quality and taste...

http://www.lombardscotchwhisky.com/

http://www.beveragebusiness.com/arch...eid=28&aid=212

": "As bourbon heats up," he said, "there's less bulk bourbon on the market. People who were willing to sell off barrels, that market's the tightest it's ever been. As a distiller, you want to sell what you make. If you can take your barrels and put them in branded bottles, you make more money and you build your brands . . . and then you make even more money." If bourbon's hot, no one's going to be dumping what they could be making good money on."

A supplier of bulk ethanol for various purposes:
    http://www.ultrapure-usa.com/index.html

If you want to age it......have it trucked in. Or, they sell aged bulk spirits too.
    Last edited by Jono; 01-18-2012 at 11:28.