Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

New to the forum from San Diego

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a fan bourbon in mixed drinks for a while, but just recently started trying it neat. I toured the BT distillery over the holidays while visiting family and have become more interested in the history, process and options out there. San Diego doesn't seem to have the best selection and certainly not the best prices, but I'd welcome some recommendations. Looking forward to learning from this forum and learning more about bourbon!

Disciple

Re: New to the forum from San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by SeaninSD View Post
    I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a fan bourbon in mixed drinks for a while, but just recently started trying it neat. I toured the BT distillery over the holidays while visiting family and have become more interested in the history, process and options out there. San Diego doesn't seem to have the best selection and certainly not the best prices, but I'd welcome some recommendations. Looking forward to learning from this forum and learning more about bourbon!
    Welcome to the site! There's a lot of information on here....the "search" button comes in very handy!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Taster

Hey Sean! I'm also from San Diego and new to the forum. Agree that SD doesn't have the best prices. I've been going to the local bevmos to check out their selection. Holiday Wines in Escondido has some interesting selection but the prices are high. I usually just go online to purchase, especially when one SD store quoted me $99 for some Van Winkle Lot B and $200 for Pappy 20.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SDpappy View Post
    Hey Sean! I'm also from San Diego and new to the forum. Agree that SD doesn't have the best prices. I've been going to the local bevmos to check out their selection. Holiday Wines in Escondido has some interesting selection but the prices are high. I usually just go online to purchase, especially when one SD store quoted me $99 for some Van Winkle Lot B and $200 for Pappy 20.
    Glad to find another San Diego bourbon drinker!

I was at one local store in Mission Valley and they wanted $89 and $99 for the 10/90 and 10/107 and $139 for Lot B and $229 for the 20 year!

PM where you go online as I'm looking for Lot B as I've never tried it yet.

Any other local suggestions would be appreciated too!

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard!

I can certainly empathize with the lack of selection and high prices as we have the same problem here in NJ. Plus we get the added bonus of not being able to order and have shipped here either.

But as they say, where there is a will, there is a way. I wisb you luck in your searching.

Apprentice

Welcome Sean! And yes, Jack nailed it with how useful the search button can be. That is actually how I found this thread because I will be in San Diego on an upcoming business trip and wanted to see if there are any good bourbon/whiskey bars or restaurants I should try to out. I will be staying close to the SD airport. Any suggestions???

From what it sounds like above, it would probably be a waste of my time and money to check out the local San Diego liquors stores, huh? The top shelf stuff like PVW and BTAC doesn't stay on the shelves very long around the Cincinnati area so I like to try and see what I can find when I am on the road, but it sounds like the prices are just going to be ridiculous in SD.

Enthusiast

Welcome, enjoy this great site.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by BroInBourbonMD View Post
    Welcome Sean! And yes, Jack nailed it with how useful the search button can be. That is actually how I found this thread because I will be in San Diego on an upcoming business trip and wanted to see if there are any good bourbon/whiskey bars or restaurants I should try to out. I will be staying close to the SD airport. Any suggestions???

From what it sounds like above, it would probably be a waste of my time and money to check out the local San Diego liquors stores, huh? The top shelf stuff like PVW and BTAC doesn't stay on the shelves very long around the Cincinnati area so I like to try and see what I can find when I am on the road, but it sounds like the prices are just going to be ridiculous in SD.

I replied back to you in the General section so check it out and let me know if you have any other questions. San Diego is a great city, but I don't know if it's a great bourbon city!

Enthusiast

Born & raised in San Diego -- a fine, fine place but awful as a bourbon destination.
    tl; dnr

Novice

Welcome from Kansas!
    Ride safe, and drink responsibly,
    Chuck