Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Van winkle 10 year 107 vs lot b

1) Old Rip 107
    2) Hands Down
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

I like ORVW 107 a lot but the hunt is a hassle. Only picked up two bottles this release.

Lot B is good whiskey but I don't bother with it when I can find Weller 12 year throughout the year at half the price.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by angler82 View Post
    I like ORVW 107 a lot but the hunt is a hassle. Only picked up two bottles this release.

Lot B is good whiskey but I don't bother with it when I can find Weller 12 year throughout the year at half the price.
    I haven't seen one bottle of the 107 this season. Kinda disappointed about that. I've gotten 2x of the 90 proof for like $32 though. Decent price for those, I think.

I know a few places I can pick up a few more Lot B's but I think I am with you on the Weller 12. I am contemplating ordering a case of that goodness in place of upping the Lot B stock.

Connoisseur

I love LotB, and am not a fan of Weller 12.. all you guys leaving LotB on the shelf drives me crazy, especially since I can't find any!!
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    I love LotB, and am not a fan of Weller 12.. all you guys leaving LotB on the shelf drives me crazy, especially since I can't find any!!
    Are the Lot B fans really fans of Lot B, or is it as close to Pappy 15 as you could get (due to availability/pricing, etc.)?

Given the marked difference (to my taste buds) between Lot B and 15, I can't ever imagine it not being worth the $15-$20 step up to Pappy 15 if it was on the shelves.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump47 View Post
    Are the Lot B fans really fans of Lot B, or is it as close to Pappy 15 as you could get (due to availability/pricing, etc.)?

Given the marked difference (to my taste buds) between Lot B and 15, I can't ever imagine it not being worth the $15-$20 step up to Pappy 15 if it was on the shelves.
    They are rarely equally available. They are different. There is a spiciness and boldness with the 10/107 that the lot B lacks. There is a refined nature (elegance for lack of a better term) with the lot B that the 10/107 lacks. Now, the PVW 15 has the best qualities of both the lot B and 10/107 along with more depth and complexity. As for the weller 12, I certainly like it, and it is certainly a bargain, but it in no way compares to the lot B. It is a great value, and I blend it with OWA for an inexpensive yet tasty daily pour, but neither are up to the level of any of the VWs. Some prefer proof, some prefer age, the 15 has both. Comparing 10/107 and lot B isn't a fair comparison for either of them.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by angler82 View Post
    That's what I'm talking about....

Connoisseur

Fair question. I have had LotB in the past and really enjoyed it. I know the price point difference between LotB and the 15 at actual retail isn't that much different, but if I'm not finding LotB, you know I'm not finding the 15
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Enthusiast

I am a fan of Lot B, but I've never tasted PVW15. I found one dusty bottle of Lot B from the 2006 release last year and I think it's great bourbon. A bit lacking in proof, but it makes up for it in richness. I'm also a fan of Weller 12 and OWA, but I think the Lot B is markedly better than both. At $40, i think Lot B is fantastic, but at $55 it's pushing it. I did have a bottle of 10/107 a couple years ago, but I don't think I fully appreciated wheaters enough back then to judge it. All I remember was the heat from the proof. I do have a Lot B and PVW15 from the fall 2011 release and I look forward to seeing how they stack up.

Guru

I've been able to find twice as much Pappy 15 as Lot B this year. And no Old Rip 107 AT ALL.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog