Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Empty Bottle Support Group 2012

I finally allowed myself to empty a PHC Cognac last night. Amazingly, it's the third bottle I've gone through since T-giving last year; I just really like it. Doing a close tasting, I dug some really great kiwi and lime notes out in addition to the more usual bourbon berry flavors. This stuff obviously came from perfectly placed standard HH barrels, and I find the marriage with the Cognac barrels madly amicable.

On an off-palate night, this stuff is only merely decent, but when the time is right, it's a deeply contemplative bourbon. It especially shines when tasted after another HH bourbon, because it presents the best of the HH profile engaged in a luscious, alien finish.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Killed the last of a bottle of FR1B last night with some of the neighbors and there is a bottle of FRSmB that is heading for the bin soon! I love me some FR1B...so drinkable!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

Knocked the OF Signature 1.75ml on the head yesterday afternoon. I always forget to add that one when there is discussion of favorite budget bourbons in the $20 range. Good stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Taster

In the past week i have finished off bottles of OGD 114, 09 Pappy 15, Angels Envy, RR 10yr and tonight should polish off a bottle of 08 Handy.

Advanced Taster

Maker's 46 and Baby Saz bit the dust tonight. Both good pours, imo.

Guru

Sadly, my last few ounces of OCPR just went down the hatch. Lots of great memories drinking that one, so it ain't all bad.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsaw View Post
    In the past week i have finished off bottles of OGD 114, 09 Pappy 15, Angels Envy, RR 10yr and tonight should polish off a bottle of 08 Handy.
    And tomorrow...your liver.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Vintage 17 from 1996 which IMO was the best of their rye based 17's ..... this was 2 expressions back.... excellent whiskey!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

I've been happily evacuating my bottles lately: a good thing since I've been bored with a number of bourbons I have open (not these that I recently finished).

Finished up a FR 120th after holding on to it for about 2.5 months. It started out stiff and woody with very little give and ended with the mouth-watering depth and complexity that makes FR my favorite active distillery out there. I probably would have gotten to the sweet spot of my bottle sooner if I had been more patient with the first half of it.

Last night I kicked a paper label OWA 7/107. It was much better than more recent NAS bottles I've had, more mature and not as hot. Most of the bottle ended up going into a Weller 12 at about 3:2 I'd say, and I have about 4/5 of a bottle there, so I sure hope I end up liking this SB blend more than I did the OWA on its own!
    Last edited by AaronWF; 06-12-2012 at 11:06.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

I sort of finished my first bottle ever, NAS OWA107. I actually didn't QUITE finish it, but blended in the Weller12 to make a big bottle of SB blend. I am jazzed!