Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Re: Empty Bottle Support Group 2012

Finally got around to finishing off a pair of budget pours: Baby Saz and OWA. TPS AAA 10yr shall take their place.

Virtuoso

Willett 5YO rye and a JJ Bowman 14YO hit the bins....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

Finished off a low fill Weller 12 this past weekend.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

In celebration of one truckload of sod down AND prepping for a 2nd load tomorrow AM, I finished my bottle of CEHT Warehouse C tonight, and then...I am opening the Single Barrel expression tomorrow after the completion of the 2nd truckload.

Connoisseur

killed off a half pint of ND OT, and decided to dump the rest of a bad pair of dusty pints, Ten High and JTS Brown 86.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    killed off a half pint of ND OT, and decided to dump the rest of a bad pair of dusty pints, Ten High and JTS Brown 86.
    Does the dusty JTS Brown have any butterscotch notes? I've had dusties from most distilleries, and they all have butterscotch notes, but current HH is so strong with the corn, wood, and mint that I'd be sort of surprised if they worked some butterscotch in.

Virtuoso

ETL Julio's current selection... quite good as ETL's go and a very easy drinker
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I emptied the last of my Woodford Maple finish into some Old Forester for a bottle for mixed drinks/ginger ale. I appreciate any distillery trying new things, but I am not a fan of this expression. Even after combining it with the OF, and even after adding some Mellow Corn to try and cool it down, that hot astringent note won't go away. If anything, it has gotten worse.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Does the dusty JTS Brown have any butterscotch notes? I've had dusties from most distilleries, and they all have butterscotch notes, but current HH is so strong with the corn, wood, and mint that I'd be sort of surprised if they worked some butterscotch in.
    I wouldn't call it butterscotch, but it did have that sort of dusty bourbon richness to it. It just didn't hit the great spots like some do, and I kept staring at it, and the funk growing in the bottom, and said no more mediocre bourbon.

It was recognizably HH whiskey though, complete with mellow mint/menthol afterburner. All the dusty HH I've had is a bit more potent rye/menthol finish. EC12 pre-fire is pretty good, if unbalanced, starting with vanilla and caramel, and finishing with a kick in the pants, that all makes you want to keep drinking it.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

It just didn't hit the great spots like some do, and I kept staring at it, and the funk growing in the bottom, and said no more mediocre bourbon.
    Man, that is how I felt about my Old Forester 86 and Old Fitz Primes from the mid-'80s. Rare or not, one glass was all I needed to obtain my education, and they eventually sanitized the garbage disposal.

It was recognizably HH whiskey though, complete with mellow mint/menthol afterburner. All the dusty HH I've had is a bit more potent rye/menthol finish. EC12 pre-fire is pretty good, if unbalanced, starting with vanilla and caramel, and finishing with a kick in the pants, that all makes you want to keep drinking it.
    Cool! If I'm lucky enough to find them, I'll definitely scoop them up! Unbalanced or not, that sounds like a fun ride.