Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Finished off a bottle of Baker's tonight. IMHO a very under-appreciated bourbon.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vy31fs

Connoisseur

Re: Empty Bottle Support Group 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BMartin42 View Post
    Another ETL hits the bin. I think I keep getting defective bottles. The bourbon just doesn't stay in them.
    What he said. (Twice, because I'm required to use 16 characters.)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Maker's Mark on ice has just been my savior during this heatwave and alas it gave up the last long pour.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm the same way. It takes me an absolute age to kill off most of the bottles I have because I tend to nip at them a pour or two at a time and move on to something else. Only recently did I decide to thin out the herd and devote attention to specific bottles in order to clean out the cabinet. But who am I fooling? That only frees up room for another one!
    I'm always heistant to kill the last 10% of a bottle. I want to have it around for comparison purposes if I really want to taste two back to back. That hardly ever happens, but I have trouble fighting my packrat instincts.

Enthusiast

Sounds like me... I can never keep that last pour for comparison, but I always want to.

I've been missing my last bottles of OWA and EC12. While not expensive or rare, I've been on a 'value pour' search with stuff like OF86, Benchmark, OGD, etc. Can't wait to get back to my more upper-mid shelf stuff once again.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    I've been missing my last bottles of OWA and EC12. While not expensive or rare, I've been on a 'value pour' search with stuff like OF86, Benchmark, OGD, etc. Can't wait to get back to my more upper-mid shelf stuff once again.
    I kicked out a HH6yo BiB and an OGD114 in the last week or so, and I find myself missing some good bourbon I can pour in large glass and take down quickly. Most of my whiskey is tasting whiskey, something that I like to savor every last drop of. But the fact is that I seem to have a bit of a sweet tooth for a big, simple, tasty bourbon like the OGD114, something to drink quickly before a meal, for instance, and against what I would consider the odds, I'm missing my bottle mightily and will have to pick up another (or two) straight away!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I kicked out a HH6yo BiB and an OGD114 in the last week or so, and I find myself missing some good bourbon I can pour in large glass and take down quickly. Most of my whiskey is tasting whiskey, something that I like to savor every last drop of. But the fact is that I seem to have a bit of a sweet tooth for a big, simple, tasty bourbon like the OGD114, something to drink quickly before a meal, for instance, and against what I would consider the odds, I'm missing my bottle mightily and will have to pick up another (or two) straight away!
    Hehe... you caught me. OGD is one of my favs, felt bad including it in the 'negative' list. I couldn't remember the other value brand I just tried so I added OGD in its place. Beam Black was the real negative one... I know it has its fans, but it just didn't do it for me. Especially given it's price.

Just finished a bottle of OGD BIB, and am using it to store some homemade hot sauce. The last couple days, I've been opening the fridge, seeing the bright orange label, and get happy "Oh yeah, I have OGD!"... then a split second later I remember its just my hot sauce container. It's like waking up from a nice dream and realizing you're on a friend's scummy couch.

Haven't tried the OGD 114 yet.... but it's high on my list. You think it's more sweet than BIB? To me, I got a a lot of dry rye spice out of the BIB... which was very nice, but not really sweet.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Just today I justified an older looking but certainly not a dusty WT 101 priced at $17.99 for the same reason...but who the hell am I kidding...cuz I got full and open bottles of HH 6 BIB, OGD 114, VOB BIB, AAA 10 and plenty of other cheap dusties and on and on.

But back on topic, recent empties include ORVW 107, WT RB, JJ Bowman 14yr SB and a 375 ml of Old Fitz from DSP 16.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Pitching an Eagle Rare 10 yo tonight.

There have been times that I really enjoyed this bottle. Tonight isn't nec. one of those times.

Connoisseur

I have a tendency as others do to keep a little bit from a bottle around... Though I am not sure why. Then I wind up on one of these streaks where I wind up emptying a bottle every (or every other) night because I want to make some room for new bottles. I need more bar space.

But back to the topic at hand, tonight marked the end to a bottle of Knob Creek. I keep saying I am not going to replace it because I have the KCSB, but inevitably, and probably out of instinct, I bring it back.