Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Bought a Russell's Reserve Rye last night, which I'll open as soon as I kill an open bottle (I, too, have waaaaay too many bottles open). What do you rye lovers think of it?
    I really enjoy it - but the pricing is odd, I get it as low as $23, but see it as high as $35. When it's under $25, I always buy it.

One of the most wintergreen/pine-scented Ryes around (moreso than even the LDI stuff). Totally different beast than the WT101 Rye - smooth and enjoyable, but not brash and explosive like others.

Enthusiast

I pretty much drink Rye or Scotch 70% of the time. The rest is for bourbon or tequila/mezcal.

Glad to see this thread.

My Rye collection outguns the bourbons by 4 or 5 to 1. I've still got lots of bourbon, but Rye is my true love!

Had some Saz 18 last night, and followed it with a pick me up of Ritt BIB. Amazing how well Ritt can hold up against and 18 year bottle that cost nearly 3-4 times as much!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Had some Saz 18 last night, and followed it with a pick me up of Ritt BIB. Amazing how well Ritt can hold up against and 18 year bottle that cost nearly 3-4 times as much!
    Heh, well, I'd happily trade you 4 Ritt BIBs for 1 Saz 18. I like the Ritt a lot and am working through a bottle now, but I can't get enough of that older rye profile.

Virtuoso

Bought a Russell's Reserve Rye last night, which I'll open as soon as I kill an open bottle (I, too, have waaaaay too many bottles open). What do you rye lovers think of it?
    I like it a lot but I'm probably in the minority here. It doesn't bear a huge resemblance to the 101 rye (which I also like as a general rule).

Disciple

Had a Jefferson's Rye on Friday - tasted like hairspray to me at the time, but for some awful reason I want more.

RR Rye always seems a bit too tame and one-note for me, but I love me some WT101 Rye!

Enthusiast

Heh, well, I'd happily trade you 4 Ritt BIBs for 1 Saz 18. I like the Ritt a lot and am working through a bottle now, but I can't get enough of that older rye profile.
    I agree - but it's nice to have the various choices!

Have you had Vintage Rye 21 or Van Winkle Rye? Those two have their own unique and exceptional profiles.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I agree - but it's nice to have the various choices!

Have you had Vintage Rye 21 or Van Winkle Rye? Those two have their own unique and exceptional profiles.
    I had the Vintage Rye 21 at a bar a couple of months ago and found it to be extraordinary (though see White Dog's post about how it does over time). I have a bottle of the VWFRR but haven't opened it yet. I read a very, very long thread here a few days ago, in which it was mentioned that half of the VW Rye is the same stuff in the Vintage Ryes.

Too bad about the one-note, mellow RR Rye. I'll probably get a High West next. Son of Bourye is out in my neighborhood for a reasonable $40.

Disciple

Let's keep this thread going, fellow SBers. I'm having some VWFRR, since I've been lucky enough to pick up a few more bottles this month. As good as ever! Once Julian runs out of the vatting and goes all BT, this will be one sought after dusty!!!

Virtuoso

I agree ...the more VWFRR the merrier and a very good time for all...but tonight, leaning in good on that new bottle of Lil Saz....good, very good. Maybe some room later for Ritt BIB...maybe....

Virtuoso

I had a short pour of HW RM16. There's no denying its large rye character, but it really is wholly unique. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that it's only 92pr; it's just so spicy, but without the heat I keep expecting. It's less oily than THH, and full bodied in a more even-keeled way. I think it's still opening up, so I'm taking it slow...

I'm going to ask in the Barton Rye thread if it was used in the Double Rye, because it definitely is reminiscent of some notes I found in there.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--