Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

Had a little Saz 18 (11) to start then a baby Saz manhattan. I like the wheaters, but I find myself reaching for the ryes far more often.
    tl; dnr

Taster

I picked up a WT rye about a month ago just to give it a try. It seems like it has fair reviews here and the price is right for a rye beginner.

I wasn't overly impressed when I got it, but after leaving it alone for a month, it seems to have improved. I know it could just be my taster - but is rye affected by some air and bottle time?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Eye View Post
    I picked up a WT rye about a month ago just to give it a try. It seems like it has fair reviews here and the price is right for a rye beginner.

I wasn't overly impressed when I got it, but after leaving it alone for a month, it seems to have improved. I know it could just be my taster - but is rye affected by some air and bottle time?
    The aged ryes may decline after opening, while for the younger ryes I've had recently - Ritt BiB, Redemption, and, so far, the RR Rye - a little time helps them out. I didn't notice any difference with the Rendezvous Rye.

One major exception to the rule for older ryes is the Saz 18. It's been kept in steel tanks for the past 6 years and has not gotten notably worse, or so I've heard. The stock got shifted a few years ago to smaller tanks, allowing exposure to less air, but for a year or two it was in a 13,500 gallon tank, likely leaving plenty of room for oxidation.

Advanced Taster

Got a bottle of Bulliett the other day. I favor rye flavors in my bourbon, but the Bulliett Rye seems real thin and lifeless to me. I guess I'm missing the corn.

I had a 1/2 bottle of MM46 that was gifted to me and I'm not a fan of wheaters. Anyway - a 2:1 mix of MM46 and Bulliett Rye proved to be one of the best drinks I've had a in a long time. I may make this blend a regular in my rotation.

Virtuoso

Had a little VWFRR last night, followed by some Willett 4 y/o (LDI juice).

Very interesting to put those two together.

Enthusiast

VWFRR "B" stock and some Ritt BIB last night.

Both so good... I'm pretty sure that Ritt BIB would be a much sought after and coveted dram fetching high $$$ if it were to disappear completely.

It's definitely one of those "they don't make 'em like that anymore" type offerings that has "legendary status" potential

Virtuoso

I finished my night with some WTR101. It's the first bottle I've bought of it, and I'm really warming up to it. It has a very recognizable rye-ness to it, but the corn and the proof elevate it above just about all the LDI ryes out there.

With a bar full of so many wonderful barrel-proof, unfiltered, limited edition whiskeys it's often hard for me to reach for a value pour, but the WTR101 was the perfect capper for me last night.

The only other current WT product I've had is the 101 bourbon. I think the rye is miles better.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I finished my night with some WTR101. It's the first bottle I've bought of it, and I'm really warming up to it. It has a very recognizable rye-ness to it, but the corn and the proof elevate it above just about all the LDI ryes out there.

With a bar full of so many wonderful barrel-proof, unfiltered, limited edition whiskeys it's often hard for me to reach for a value pour, but the WTR101 was the perfect capper for me last night.

The only other current WT product I've had is the 101 bourbon. I think the rye is miles better.
    Completely agree on the WT101 Bourbon vs. the WT101 Rye.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Completely agree on the WT101 Bourbon vs. the WT101 Rye.
    I don't know, I've had some bottles of the rye that were really good and the last couple were pretty bad.

Then again the 101 bourbon is pretty variable, too, but I've never had one that I would call "bad."

Enthusiast

Enjoying some W H Harrison Governor's Reserve. It is a barrel proof at 115 proof. It is technically a "high rye" bourbon, but I would rate it over many of the rye whiskeys that I have tried. A very intense rye flavor.