Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    You won't find this in Madison or Milwaukee. It seems to start in Sheboygan county and north up to Green Bay. And on shelf it's always next to Stephen Foster Rye, the 30-month-old 80proofer from HH. It's all very bizarre.
    Somewhere in my foggy memory, it seems I read or heard where this is not available in the Southland. It has not kept me from searching for it though thru the years...no trace yet. I think it will take a trip into the northern latitudes to find some. If I am wrong, let me know....thanx!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Somewhere in my foggy memory, it seems I read or heard where this is not available in the Southland. It has not kept me from searching for it though thru the years...no trace yet. I think it will take a trip into the northern latitudes to find some. If I am wrong, let me know....thanx!
    Oddly, Fleischmann's Rye is only sold in certain parts of Wisconsin. It is not found in any other state, to the best of my knowledge.

Virtuoso

Ritt BIB at the moment soon to be followed by some more good ole Bowman from TPS. It was so very good last night, I see no reason to change the routine before the pillow beckons me.

Connoisseur

Had a pour of HW DR followed by a pour of the HW OMG. Love the DR!! The OMG is unlike anything i have tasted, jury is still out. The Hemingway is burning good with a pour of Double Rye! at the moment.

Virtuoso

Gonna have to give that HWDR a try. I am easing up on my harsh criticism of HW with a healthy pour of Rendezvous tonite. It is a little tastier than previous pours and seems to have better finish. Jury still out, but I am inching closer to giving HW some more rolls of the dice.

Anyhow, think I'll follow the normal Friday rye routine and chase the HW with some VWFRR. After that, I plan to come to the fork in the road with THH going one way, Bowman the other...we'll see when the time comes which road is best that leads to the beckoning pillow.

Enthusiast
    Finishing off my bottle of HW Rendezvous with a Healthy healthy pour. Enjoyed this bottle more and
    more as it went.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Apprentice

Ritt BIB this evening. Can't beat it for $20.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Willett's four year old rye (with a dark color that suggests it could even be older), courtesy my friend Gary Hodder.

Right off the bat I guessed the Indiana origin - honest! (Gary showed me the rear label's small script after). It has a slight "BlueTide" note, a signature of rye from Lawrenceburg IMO, but on a seamless caramel/buttery background. A near perfect shot of rye I'd say.

Was more than one barrel bottled?

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Willett's four year old rye (with a dark color that suggests it could even be older), courtesy my friend Gary Hodder.

Right off the bat I guessed the Indiana origin - honest! (Gary showed me the rear label's small script after). It has a slight "BlueTide" note, a signature of rye from Lawrenceburg IMO, but on a seamless caramel/buttery background. A near perfect shot of rye I'd say.

Was more than one barrel bottled?

Gary
    Gary, There was plenty being carried by enough retailers to indicate barrels were bottled. It looks like there on to releasing 5 year now at least from Party Source. I know other refined palates here who agree with you but I'm not one of them . What's "BlueTide" note by the way?
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks Thad. I'll get the barrel number from Gary of his bottle just for reference, since it was superlative. I meant a scent of sea breeze and soap, it's a light accent but I find it in every LDI rye I've had. This bottling seemed older than any I had earlier and accordingly the scent and taste were lighter, but still there, IMO.

By the way Gary and our tasting partner Les (both of whom have appeared at the odd Gazebo in recent years) agreed with me that the blending of this rye 50-50 with Les's current Lot B made an incredible dram.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-25-2012 at 07:36.